quick one: keep 7790, or exchange for 650ti boost (and pay difference)?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
so a week ago I bought a pair of 7790. cost me $80 each after rebates. will be used for non-game stuff, regular Win8 stuff, watching movies - but across SIX monitors (hence two cards)

CARDS NOT YET USED. still in boxes waiting on parts to finish build...

now, I can maybe take them back to the store and exchange for a pair of 650 ti boost 2g cards, which would cost me $140 after rebates. so, I gotta cover the difference, and I can ONLY do this at my store - no online stuff.

worth it? nearly double the price, and it's 2 cards not just 1 card... I don't game, but I use 6 monitors for working on stuff...

quick answer! before the stuff is no longer in stock!

rvilkman

Distinguished
Basically you should be fine with the 7790's, and if the display port hubs weren't so expensive, you could basically connect all 6 displays to 1 card.
However i am not certain if you will be able to create a 3x2 eyefinity group for example, as eyefinity groups should be connected to the same card.
But yes you should be fine. You can probably create two groups of 3x1 though.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
the eyefinity thing doesn't matter to me much. for most of what I work on, I'd NOT want to maximize a window to the full 2x3 grid but rather I'd be maximizing 5 windows, each to its own monitor. so, in a way, eyefinity would make my life worse. except when I watch a movie, or maybe Win8 metro mode.

so, I guess fair to say that eyefinity is of no relevance to me.

the rest? hmm... I did some quick online benchmark searches / googling, and it looks like the cards are either within 10% of each other, or the Ti Boost is about 15% to 20% better.

I only do upgrades at the mobo/cpu/gpu level after 2-3 years, no sooner. which explains why my current about-to-be-retired setup uses a 610 and 9400.