[SOLVED] Quick partition question

Jun 14, 2020
Following up on my previous threads regarding my upcoming plans for a dual boot Windows 7/10 setup, I wanted to ask a quick question regarding the partitions I'd need to make:

When I set up my drive with the necessary partitions, should I just split the drive into two equal partitions or should I just allocate ~250GB to two partitions and let the third take the rest of the drive's space?

The reason I ask this is because I plan to use both OSes pretty frequently. If I did the three-partition option and I, say, had a browser that I wanted installed for both 7 and 10, would I be better off placing each install on both OS partitions or just installing it into the third partition? I don't have a problem splitting the partitioning in two, but I'm not entirely sure what the best setup would be.

As always, thanks for any replies!

Solution
Depends on how valuable the drive space is to you.
The OSes only need about 30Gb to be comfortable and about 50Gb would be spacious if you install everything on a different partition anyway.
But for some programs you would have to install them on different directories for each OS to avoid registry conflicts,a different way to go is to use portable versions of programs.

Giving each OS 250Gb or evenmore will waste a lot of your disk space but installing every program on the same partition that the OS will run it from will make things much simpler for you and avoid a lot of issues.
The OSes only need about 30Gb to be comfortable and about 50Gb would be spacious if you install everything on a different partition anyway.
But for some programs you would have to install them on different directories for each OS to avoid registry conflicts,a different way to go is to use portable versions of programs.

Giving each OS 250Gb or evenmore will waste a lot of your disk space but installing every program on the same partition that the OS will run it from will make things much simpler for you and avoid a lot of issues.

Solution
Jun 14, 2020

Hmm well, I'd probably just install programs like browsers and other tools with the OS in whichever partition, and install all games and other major applications outside of the OS partitions if I did split them in three. Where would the registry issues arise?