Quick powersupply/mobo question

Chrisrlyon

Commendable
May 22, 2016
Hello community,

I'm building a mini itx computer for a friend. The mini itx motherboard requires a 4 pin cpu connector, and the psu has the standard 4+4 cable. I plan on custom sleeving these cables but since I only need 4, what would happen if I removed the other 4 cables entirely and just kept the proper pinouts for the 4 cables and on the 8 pin end that plugs into cpu just had 4 instead of 8 with 4 empty slots? If that makes sense. Wondering if that would work since cable management is going to be tight as it is.

Solution

So what you are saying is you want to remove 4 of the 8 wires from the modular cable that runs from psu to motherboard. Modular makes a huge difference in the scope of this as I thought you were pulling the wires from the motherboard side and tying them up closer to the PSU, requiring insulation on wires removed from connector.

Wires gone from both ends of the cable, no problem.

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
You can remove whatever is not needed as long as all wires are properly insulated.

If you are doing more than just prying the wires out of the connector by moving the tabs you will probably void any warranty.

Chrisrlyon

Commendable
May 22, 2016
Can you explain what you mean by properly insulated? It's a fully modular power supply so I am simply removing the pins out of the connector but I wasn't sure if it was okay to only have 4 pins in an 8 pin connector that is plugged into the psu

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016

So what you are saying is you want to remove 4 of the 8 wires from the modular cable that runs from psu to motherboard. Modular makes a huge difference in the scope of this as I thought you were pulling the wires from the motherboard side and tying them up closer to the PSU, requiring insulation on wires removed from connector.

Wires gone from both ends of the cable, no problem.

Solution