Quick question regarding dolby sound

Howdy.

How can I tell if my soundcard can handle a dolby speaker system? Right now
all I know about the sound on this machine (Dimension 4550) is that it's
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1.

On the card itself, I see yellow, blue, pink, green, and black outlets plus
what appears to be a funky SCSI port (? that's the icon anyway)..

Right now of course, it's pink for the microphone and green for the speakers
(stereo). Do the other outlets involve dolby stuff or are they something
else?

TIA for any help!
Jason

If you are asking if the card provides Dolby AC3 output, then according to
the Soundblaster website, it does not.

Yellow is usually a digital out.
Green is speakers.
Black is central channel.

If you go to support.dell.com then it should have more info.

What specific speaker system.

Tom

> If you are asking if the card provides Dolby AC3 output, then according to
> the Soundblaster website, it does not.

Darn.

> Yellow is usually a digital out.
> Green is speakers.
> Black is central channel.
>
> If you go to support.dell.com then it should have more info.
>
> What specific speaker system.

Not really looking at anything specific so far, I was hoping to do some
homework beforehand so's to eliminate possible headaches. Looks like I'm
going to have to upgrade m'sound card before I can jump into Dolby heaven.
:)

Thanks for the help!
Jason

It does do 5.1.

> > If you are asking if the card provides Dolby AC3 output, then according
> > the Soundblaster website, it does not.
>
> Darn.
>
> > Yellow is usually a digital out.
> > Green is speakers.
> > Black is central channel.
> >
> > If you go to support.dell.com then it should have more info.
> >
> > What specific speaker system.
>
> Not really looking at anything specific so far, I was hoping to do some
> homework beforehand so's to eliminate possible headaches. Looks like I'm
> going to have to upgrade m'sound card before I can jump into Dolby heaven.
> :)
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Jason

"J. Makela" <nospam@me.com> wrote in message

> > If you are asking if the card provides Dolby AC3 output, then according
> > the Soundblaster website, it does not.
>
> Darn.
>
> > Yellow is usually a digital out.
> > Green is speakers.
> > Black is central channel.
> >
> > If you go to support.dell.com then it should have more info.
> >
> > What specific speaker system.
>
> Not really looking at anything specific so far, I was hoping to do some
> homework beforehand so's to eliminate possible headaches. Looks like I'm
> going to have to upgrade m'sound card before I can jump into Dolby heaven.
> :)
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Jason

Jason -

I understand your sentiments. However, be prepared to lose your front audio
out jack (behind the I/O door on the bezel along with USB) due to a
proprietary connection on that cable.

Dell OEM cards have a (white) connector for that cable while retail cards
will not.

Good luck

Stew