Question Quick Question Regarding FSR

IDProG

Distinguished
How does FSR work?

Let's say I'm playing Marvel's Spider-Man at 1080p. Then I activate FSR. What does it do? Does it reduce the native res, then upscale it to 1080p, or does it upscale 1080p to a higher resolution like 1440p?

If it's the latter, then how to make it so the behavior is the former?

Thank you in advance.

FSR works by rendering frames at a lower resolution and then using an open-source spatial upscaling algorithm to make the game look as though it's running at a higher resolution.

It upscales on an individual frame-by-frame basis without using other data such as frame history or motion vectors.

This is an efficient and convenient way of upscaling, since it also doesn’t have high system requirements. However, this efficiency comes with the disadvantage of lower image quality compared to temporal upscalers like those found in Unreal Engine or Nvidia DLSS.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
BTW, unlike Nvidia DLSS, FSR works across both Radeon and GeForce graphics cards, and even works on older models by team green such as the GTX 10 and 16 series.

When using AMD FSR, you can choose between four modes: Ultra Quality, Quality, Balanced, and Performance. What are your full PC specs ? Which Monitor model and GPU are you using ? Is it 1080p ?

frew2oc9f6p81.jpg

FSR 1.0 uses temporal upscaling after antialiasing, then it fills up some missing data then it sharpens it a bit, doesnt work with previous frames, is a tad faster than FSR 2.0, image quality is quite low
FSR 2.0 uses temporal upscaling before antialiasing , it uses previous frames in its algorithm to improve image quality, result is similar to DLSS 2.0 in quality and in 4k its usualy better quality than dlss
FSR 2.1 uses AI upsaling, its backward compatible with FSR 2.0, so to enable it on older games, you just need to replace FSR libraries in game folder (same for DLSS)
FSR 3.0 comes with frame generation

Last edited:

IDProG

Distinguished
BTW, unlike Nvidia DLSS, FSR works across both Radeon and GeForce graphics cards, and even works on older models by team green such as the GTX 10 and 16 series.

When using AMD FSR, you can choose between four modes: Ultra Quality, Quality, Balanced, and Performance. What are your full PC specs ? Which Monitor model and GPU are you using ? Is it 1080p ?

frew2oc9f6p81.jpg
My GPU is GTX 1070, using 24G2 monitor, 1080p 144Hz.

Then you should be able to use FSR on your GPU, even the Quality mode. Just check what performance gain/drop you get while using FSR. Try experimenting with different INPUT resolution/upscaling options.

The minimum recommended GPUs for FSR 2.0 include the Radeon RX 590 and GeForce GTX 1070 at 1080p, with 1440p and 4K requiring slightly higher-end cards.

TARGET UPSCALING RESOLUTIONAMD GRAPHICS CARDSNVIDIA® GRAPHICS CARDS
4KRadeon™ RX 6700 XT
Radeon™ RX 5700
(And above)
GeForce RTX™ 3070
GeForce RTX™ 2070
(And above)
1440PRadeon™ RX 6600
Radeon™ RX 5600
Radeon™ RX Vega Series
(And above)
GeForce RTX™ 3060
GeForce RTX™ 2060
GeForce® GTX 1080
(And above)
1080PRadeon™ RX 6500 XT
Radeon™ RX 590
(And above)
GeForce® GTX 16 Series
GeForce® GTX 1070
(And above)

IDProG

Distinguished
Then you should be able to use FSR on your GPU, even the Quality mode. Just check what performance gain/drop you get while using FSR. Try experimenting with different INPUT resolution/upscaling options.

The minimum recommended GPUs for FSR 2.0 include the Radeon RX 590 and GeForce GTX 1070 at 1080p, with 1440p and 4K requiring slightly higher-end cards.

TARGET UPSCALING RESOLUTIONAMD GRAPHICS CARDSNVIDIA® GRAPHICS CARDS
4KRadeon™ RX 6700 XT
Radeon™ RX 5700
(And above)
GeForce RTX™ 3070
GeForce RTX™ 2070
(And above)
1440PRadeon™ RX 6600
Radeon™ RX 5600
Radeon™ RX Vega Series
(And above)
GeForce RTX™ 3060
GeForce RTX™ 2060
GeForce® GTX 1080
(And above)
1080PRadeon™ RX 6500 XT
Radeon™ RX 590
(And above)
GeForce® GTX 16 Series
GeForce® GTX 1070
(And above)
I am well aware. I actually want to see how Ultra-Performance FSR 2.1 will be.

I just don't know how to set FSR so the output resolution is 1080p, not the input resolution.

Yeah, FSR is awesome that way. I did a test and it even works on something as old as an R9 Fury, a card that was dropped from AMD driver support two years ago. I was both shocked and impressed with it because that card was released 8 years ago!

Kinda makes you wonder if some people actually need an upgrade when they could just use FSR to make their cards live longer. :giggle:

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Yeah, FSR is awesome that way. I did a test and it even works on something as old as an R9 Fury, a card that was dropped from AMD driver support two years ago. I was both shocked and impressed with it because that card was released 8 years ago!

Kinda makes you wonder if some people actually need an upgrade when they could just use FSR to make their cards live longer. :giggle:

I agree. FSR is very useful. It's good to know this tech even works on the R9 FURY card. This was a good card at the time of it's release, powerful enough to drive AAA games due to it's 4 GB HBM memory along a 4096-bit memory interface. Power consumption of this card was high though if I can recall correctly.

Off topic:

Have seen this behemoth of a GPU, a 4.5 slot thick RTX 4090 VERTO ARGB model ? :D Made in collaboration with PNY and Cooler Master, but this is more like a concept product/prototype. No AIB is going to make a 4.5 slot thick card, but who knows ?

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if this new design is taken for Nvidia's next-gen HOPPER GPU architecture cards requiring two 12VHPWR connectors/adapters !

PNY-4090-12CM.jpg

PNY-4090-12CM_1.jpg

I agree. FSR is very useful. It's good to know this tech even works on the R9 FURY card. This was a good card at the time of it's release, powerful enough to drive AAA games due to it's 4 GB HBM memory along a 4096-bit memory interface. Power consumption of this card was high though if I can recall correctly.

Off topic:

Have seen this behemoth of a GPU, a 4.5 slot thick RTX 4090 VERTO ARGB model ? :D Made in collaboration with PNY and Cooler Master, but this is more like a concept product/prototype. No AIB is going to make a 4.5 slot thick card, but who knows ?

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if this new design is taken for Nvidia's next-gen HOPPER GPU architecture cards requiring two 12VHPWR connectors/adapters !

PNY-4090-12CM.jpg

PNY-4090-12CM_1.jpg
Sweet Jesus! Well, I guess that it has some utility because some PCs may have the vertical room for a 6-slot card but not the length for a triple-fan. When you eliminate 1/3 of the cooling system's length, I guess that you have to make it up somewhere and since 2 fans aren't as efficient as 3, you have to go overboard to make it work.

That may be the first card I've ever seen that might even be heavier than the old Powercolor Radeon R9 290x2 Devil 13:
2583-bottom.jpg

Just imagine a single card with a TDP of 580W that weighs over 2kg... o_O

Reactions: Metal Messiah.