Quietest gaming PC case?

robbob_70

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hi,
I'm trying to make my rig as quiet as possible as the noise it makes drives me crazy.
I've got a MSI 980ti and am going to be swapping my WD Black for a WD Red, i'm also buying a new quiet PSU.

I'm not sure of the name of the case i currently own - it's a corsair and it has good airflow - however it has lot of fans which combined with the completely open 'roof' to the case - is creating a good deal of noise.

What are the quietest PC case options at the moment?
thanks,
J

Solution
Heh, you are a bit like me when I built my previous system, traumatized by noisy systems and wishing for the other extreme.

You could slap on 12 ULNs but I'd think you're crazy! Not that there could still be some benefit... But the stock fans are very good. I wouldn't be surprised if the ULN makes as much noise, at least subjectively, as the GP-14 when moving the same amount of air (GP-14 is rated at 17 CFM more, off the top of my head).

Once you go to the better fans, the exact brand and model doesn't change that much, it's a tradeoff between low noise and high RPM+high airflow. How you mount the fan (eg. ready to rattle hastily screwed against a grille vs using the silicone mounts that come with Noctua fans or with dampening pads)...
corsair quiet 400q is a good case ive heard.

no matter what hdd you get they will make noise, ssds wont and are faster(iknow money).

you ahve got fansless psus which make zero noise and are extremly solid, but pricy.
But you have also got extremly good psus with fans that are 30db tops which is extremly quiet.

robbob_70

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
I have a lot of media to store so sadly SSDs are way out of my budget. I have a 250GB one for my OS but that's as much SSD as i can afford :)
I'm going to be soft mounting my HDD, maybe un-mounting it or just using silicone gromits to reduce vibration.

Fanless PSUs don't seem to go much beyond 500w so i don't think they'd be powerful enough for my rig.

robbob_70

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
If there's a dramatic difference in noise reduction by spending more on a quality case then i'd happily~ spend up to £200.
Ideally i'd spend less, but i really want a quiet rig.. i'm not concerned with how it looks, just performance and ambient noise is where it's at for me.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151122
520Ws, fanless $120. fanless aint cheap.

Low quality fans are loud though.

Here's a new nice looking setup, the glass side panel insulates sounds better, and these fans are pretty quiet:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply ($126.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 ULN 140mm Fan ($21.40 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 ULN 140mm Fan ($21.40 @ Newegg)
Total: $268.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-13 16:27 EDT-0400

11DB for the noctuas, and 21db for the two included fans.

That's 200mm fan, case won't fit those.

Ooh sharp, mybad

robbob_70

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Thanks very much for the product list.

I found out that that PC case can take:
2x 140/120mm in the front
1x 140/120mm in the top
1x 120mm in the rear
Case comes with 2x NZXT 120mm fans in the rear and top, configured for exhaust.

Could i replace the fan on the top with a Noctua 140mm? I'd have to find an alternative for the 120mm fan in the rear as it won't take a 140mm fan.

I had a quick look at both the Noctua fans, and the 140mm one produces: 9.1 - 11.9 dBA , and the 200mm one is 18.1 dBA - seems to be against the trend of bigger is quieter?

I'm currently torn on the PSU between: EVGA SuperNova P2 850 W + SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless.
I'm just concerned the 520w might not be powerful enough., if it's plentiful for my current build - when i upgrade i might run into problems.
the rear..

Any single GPU system won't need more than a 500 W PSU, as it would only need around 350-400Ws. Unless you want to start going for the top end Extreme series CPUs and the highest end GPUs. But that's unreasonable and wasteful unless you're using it to print $20k a month.

The NZXT comes with 2 fans in mounted to the Top and Rear, the 140s would go in the front.

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Fractal Design seems to have seriously good cases such as Define R5. It's more quiet if you don't leave top open.

How quiet do you really want to go? It's fairly easy to build a PC which isn't terribly noisy, just select good parts. Are you more concerned about idle or full power noise?

The issues are mostly bad fans and GPUs in my experience. Many components can run semi-passive so the fans won't even start at low power.

Check out my build thread, it has tons of relevant information. Here's the link since people have had trouble finding it in my sig before: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3417434/building-mid-range-intel-gaming-low-noise.html

Avoid 120mm fans in top/rear positions!

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Obviously 120mm are noisier than 140mm and of course the older ones were from a different planet. My experience is with an old Noctua fan and the previous build too.

You will find a long story in the thread, including isolation testing ;)

Of course many things can affect it, like where do you place the PC. Not all fans are created equal, high RPM is a killer, Noctua are very good but I think nowadays you have many good options. I just don't have much first hand experience to name the top brands that perform further than just on paper.

robbob_70

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
As quiet as possible i'm really sensitive to computer noise.

What are the options fan-wise for the Define R5? Could i replace the two stock fans with; Noctua - NF-A14 ULN 140mm Fans?
How many fans would you recommend? Are all the mounts capable of using the 140mm Noctuas?

Also i see it's got: "Extensive water cooling support for a case of this size; housing radiators up to 420mm in the top and 360mm in the front"
Is this necessary to keep the temperature inside the case down?

cheers,

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Heh, you are a bit like me when I built my previous system, traumatized by noisy systems and wishing for the other extreme.

You could slap on 12 ULNs but I'd think you're crazy! Not that there could still be some benefit... But the stock fans are very good. I wouldn't be surprised if the ULN makes as much noise, at least subjectively, as the GP-14 when moving the same amount of air (GP-14 is rated at 17 CFM more, off the top of my head).

Once you go to the better fans, the exact brand and model doesn't change that much, it's a tradeoff between low noise and high RPM+high airflow. How you mount the fan (eg. ready to rattle hastily screwed against a grille vs using the silicone mounts that come with Noctua fans or with dampening pads) could have more effect than a choice between two similar models. Key is to run them at low power though, rev any fan up and it will make some noise.

All mounts are designed for 140mm, except maybe if you have a small CPU cooler :) Basically there is 2 x front, 2 x bottom, 3 x top and 1 x back. One more for the side if you don't take a windowed case (I like mine, stylish and practical)? I would think 3-4 fans or so is optimal, maybe 5. You will want at least one fan in the rear and probably one in the bottom (airflow+openings). Key decision is do you want to have the top slot(s) open. The hatches are dampened and less noise will escape if you leave them closed.

The Define R5 is quite versatile, somewhat large, well equipped case. You can build it up for a quiet computer, high airflow, or both. How much cooling you need depends on the components used and their TDP. 980ti has high TDP (especially the MSI model) so probably you'd want 4-5 fans, maybe more if you use ULN or low noise adapters? You will need to ensure decent airflow.

Introducing water cooling is taking it one more step hard core, it could be an option but you would need to research it, I am not sure if you get much reduction in noise unless it's very specialized kit. I'm pretty sure air cooling would be sufficient as such, but it depends on how high you let your components go, if fans are running full power there will be some noise.

BTW the ULN is a DC model fan, same as the stock ones. I'd prefer PWM ones as they are easier to run smooth from motherboard connectors - my Asus board runs DC fans off or at least 60% and PWM starts from 20% (the AI Suite allows to turn them off too). They are easily interchangeable though. DC fans are better saved for the stock controller in the chassis as that just uses voltage (DC).

The bottom fan is easier to install if you do it before the PSU.

TBH, I would continue research and see if there are larger, more expensive and advanced cases available that are suitable for you. I'm sure that you could build with R5 but there might be some slight compromises necessary. It works very well for my system and my hardware tops at only 60-65C without overclocking, but you're likely to install about 150W more TDP than what I have currently running.

Solution