Question R5 2600X CPU somehow OC'd to 4.8 GHZ ?

cleverlynamedperson

Commendable
Dec 25, 2018
Hi id like some help with my CPU. Iv got a ryzen 5 2600x. i built my PC at the beginning of January and did not touch anything other than the XMP boost i believe its called to OC my ram to 2933. Thats all iv done. Since then iv been gaming on it almost daily and aside from some GPU problems everythings been fine. My CPU however appears to have been overclocking itself without me touching anything. I tried learning more about the difference between ryzen and intel etc. but iv struggled. im not entirely sure how my CPU goes as high as it does. Iv been told the temps are normal with the absolute peak being 81 while gaming on the stock cooler (This was on battlefront 2 which is known to use ALOT of the CPU). Iv been very happy so far but im unsure if this can be causing damage to my CPU and id rather be safe than sorry. The image attached is while running battlefront 2 in the background and a few chrome tabs so im aware the CPU fan speed is a little high etc but i noticed the voltage is nearing 1.5 and clocks are reaching nearly 4.9 on some. Is this safe and should i be worried. Again iv not had any problems just would rather not find out in a few months that i had been burning out my CPU. Any help is appreciated.

View: https://imgur.com/a/SsLYjfl

I'd think that in this case the max data shown in HWmonitor is likely inaccurate for some reason, as, short of copious amounts of liquid nitrogen, nobody has gotten any 2600X samples to go beyond 4.3-4.4 GHz or so...; either that, or Precision Boost 2 on your mainboard is now capable of achieving some near-miraculous single core boost clock speeds...

Reactions: rico_rodriguez