[SOLVED] R5 3600 constant temp spikes in minimal/no load

Dec 16, 2020
So I've built my new PC, but there been something bugging me ever since. Whenever I open up GPU-Z and Afterburner to monitor all of my speeds/temps, I notice my CPU temp always spiking at somewhat random times. It spikes while gaming, having my PC under minimal load, and while I leave my PC idle. I've heard that its normal for the temperatures to spike around 5-10 degrees because of CPU Boost, but I've noticed it spiking higher than that sometimes (around 12-14 degrees) and I've even seen it once go up 19 degrees which doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

Solution
Ryzen likes to bounce around like a pinball with its temps, that's normal. It's nothing to be worried about, its just how Ryzen handles loads.

What you want to keep an eye on is how hot it gets when under heavy load. As long as that number is in a safe range then you're good to go.

For example I got a 3900x that sporadically bounces around between 30 to 60c doing little to nothing. One would think it would overheat with such high idle temperatures, but under full load with Cinebench it only goes up to 70c.

Furzumz

Reputable
Ryzen likes to bounce around like a pinball with its temps, that's normal. It's nothing to be worried about, its just how Ryzen handles loads.

What you want to keep an eye on is how hot it gets when under heavy load. As long as that number is in a safe range then you're good to go.

For example I got a 3900x that sporadically bounces around between 30 to 60c doing little to nothing. One would think it would overheat with such high idle temperatures, but under full load with Cinebench it only goes up to 70c.

Solution
Dec 16, 2020

Thank you for the clarification. I was just testing out my temps while just watching some Youtube videos and it did spike up to around 64 degrees, but was overall around 58 degrees the majority of the time. From times I was playing games, the highest it went was around 85 degrees, but it only hit that around twice for around 2 and a half hours of gameplay with discord.

Furzumz

Reputable
Thank you for the clarification. I was just testing out my temps while just watching some Youtube videos and it did spike up to around 64 degrees, but was overall around 58 degrees the majority of the time. From times I was playing games, the highest it went was around 85 degrees, but it only hit that around twice for around 2 and a half hours of gameplay with discord.

You're using the stock cooler it came with I assume? If so those temperatures sound about right with the stock cooler

The stock cooler they come with isn't the greatest, it runs the ryzen lineup on the warmer side when gaming but nothing that will hurt your CPU

Dec 16, 2020
You're using the stock cooler it came with I assume? If so those temperatures sound about right with the stock cooler

The stock cooler they come with isn't the greatest, it runs the ryzen lineup on the warmer side when gaming but nothing that will hurt your CPU
Yep, stock cooler. Although, I've been thinking of buying a new CPU cooler but I have no idea where to start.