Question R5 3600 high temps

Nov 27, 2019
Hello,

I live in India so relatively hot atmosphere and I've got NZXT H500i so not the best airflow.

Currently my idle temp with wraith stealth on r5 3600 are around 50-60C and while gaming I've seen them going upto 89C.
Sometimes while gaming the pc will power off without any warning or anything. On restart I can see that CPU temp are above 85C so I am assuming that it does that due to CPU reaching some threshold temperature.

Is there anyway to confirm this?

If it is the case should I replace the cooler with air cooler or an AIO?

Maybe not relevant but just to mention I've got asus rtx 2060 with beefy 3 fan cooler so it has idle temps of ~45C and under load ~65C.

Thanx for any help

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
The throttle temp for the 3600 is 95 degrees, so I wouldn't expect random shutdowns till it started hitting these points, however generally high spikes in temperature at lower loads is normal for the 3000 series, however you likely have very high ambient temps due to your location.

Do you know what MAX temperatures you are reaching?

shivababbli

Distinguished
Hello,

I live in India so relatively hot atmosphere and I've got NZXT H500i so not the best airflow.

Currently my idle temp with wraith stealth on r5 3600 are around 50-60C and while gaming I've seen them going upto 89C.
Sometimes while gaming the pc will power off without any warning or anything. On restart I can see that CPU temp are above 85C so I am assuming that it does that due to CPU reaching some threshold temperature.

Is there anyway to confirm this?

If it is the case should I replace the cooler with air cooler or an AIO?

Maybe not relevant but just to mention I've got asus rtx 2060 with beefy 3 fan cooler so it has idle temps of ~45C and under load ~65C.

Thanx for any help
Try to get a better airflow by adding more fans if possible.... Use one fan in the top as exhaust .. use others to pull the air inside.... It should work

Hi, as PC Tailor asked it will be great to know the full system specs, specially the PSU brand and model, and the age (how old is it).

Also, How many fans do you have in your case?; How and where are they mounted?

Other than that, if its in fact a temp problem, since you live in a hot place you could use a beefier cooler for the Ryzen.
AIO are great, but even some cheaper tower air cooler like the Deep Cool Gammaxx 400, Gammaxx GTE or the more expensive Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo may help you out.

Cheers

Nov 27, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
The throttle temp for the 3600 is 95 degrees, so I wouldn't expect random shutdowns till it started hitting these points, however generally high spikes in temperature at lower loads is normal for the 3000 series, however you likely have very high ambient temps due to your location.

Do you know what MAX temperatures you are reaching?
Hey,

Thanx for the quick reply.
Here are the specs:

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus B450E-Strix
Asus RTX 2060 Strix Advance
Coolermaster 650 WATT GOLD Fully Modular
GSKILL Trident z neo 3600mhz

For answering RodroX's question I have three fans.
two 120s top and back mounted for exhaust.
one 120 in the front top position for intake.
The back fan constantly running at 2000 rpm.
Other two are stock that runs in performance mode so running at 1500 rpm most of the time.
The system is just 2 months old and everything was bought new.

Try to get a better airflow by adding more fans if possible.... Use one fan in the top as exhaust .. use others to pull the air inside.... It should work
I'll Try that configuration

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's impossible to cool a cpu below ambient temps by physical means, you need a chemical process like phase change or LN2 in order to accomplish that.

So that said, your case temps are the actual ambient temp for the cpu cooler, it's where the cooler gets its air from. Because of other components like drives, gpu, motherboard chipsets etc all adding heat to the case, generally case temps are @ 6-12°C higher than outside ambient. And the cpu will be hotter than the case. Temps of 50°C at idle, with minor load bounces to 60°C are not all that uncommon in warmer climates, with mediocre airflow cases.

Load temps are different. There's enough wattage output from the cpu to go past the cutoff point, so ambient temps only really affect where temps start from, and you are starting high to begin with, higher case temps, especially with harder use gpu exhaust will severely lower the coolers efficiency and effectiveness overall.

My advice is twofold. First concentrate on air Flow. Good solid stream to remove heat, masses of fans do nothing if not directed. So some good, solid fans at intake, higher cfm fans at exhaust. Secondly, a more efficient cpu cooler that has a higher capacity. The Wraith series isn't bad, but the Stealth isn't enough, obviously, for its environment. A decent 240mm AIO or midrange tower or better is preferable.

Reactions: RodroX