[SOLVED] R5 3600 idle/gaming temps w/stock cooler

Jun 30, 2020
Idle (3-6 chrome tabs, steam, origin/etc) temps are anywhere from 45-55 C, but while gaming (just xcom 2 and apex legends installed so far) temp stays at a pretty constant 75C temp. Idk if this is high enough to worry, but i started getting frame drops after 2-3hrs of game time before i started worrying and installed MSI afterburner to monitor my temps. i have 5 system fans, 2 intake on the front, and 3 exhaust on the back/top. are these temps (45-55 idle, 75 while gaming) normal, or do i need an aftermarket cooler for my cpu?
specs:
R5 3600
RTX 2060
32gb g.skill ddr4
corsair cx600 600w psu
(forgot to mention, summer in hot area, ambient temperature inside the house is about 26C)
edit: went up to 83C in an apex match

Last edited:
Solution
Idle (3-6 chrome tabs, steam, origin/etc) temps are anywhere from 45-55 C, but while gaming (just xcom 2 and apex legends installed so far) temp stays at a pretty constant 75C temp. Idk if this is high enough to worry, but i started getting frame drops after 2-3hrs of game time before i started worrying and installed MSI afterburner to monitor my temps. i have 5 system fans, 2 intake on the front, and 3 exhaust on the back/top. are these temps (45-55 idle, 75 while gaming) normal, or do i need an aftermarket cooler for my cpu?
specs:
R5 3600
RTX 2060
32gb g.skill ddr4
corsair cx600 600w psu
(forgot to mention, summer in hot area, ambient temperature inside the house is about 26C)

At around...
Jul 22, 2019
My 3600X is around 40-50 on idle and 70 on load (gaming) using Kraken X62.

Ambient temperature 30º

I think it's normal, this CPU is hot. My old i7 4770K was cooler.

specs:
R5 3600
RTX 2060
32gb g.skill ddr4
corsair cx600 600w psu

At around 75~83°C is not a bad temp for a hot ambient temp while playing multiplayer online games, which are usually hard on CPU, in any case with the R5 3600 you should have a nice performance on Apex.

The stock cooler is not great by any means. I like my temps below 80°C, no matter if its while gaming or doing some heavy task like rendering, compiling, etc.

If you don't mind and can afford it a decent aftermarket cooler should be a very nice upgrade that will briung the temps down.

Solution
Jun 30, 2020
At around 75~83°C is not a bad temp for a hot ambient temp while playing multiplayer online games, which are usually hard on CPU, in any case with the R5 3600 you should have a nice performance on Apex.

The stock cooler is not great by any means. I like my temps below 80°C, no matter if its while gaming or doing some heavy task like rendering, compiling, etc.

If you don't mind and can afford it a decent aftermarket cooler should be a very nice upgrade that will briung the temps down.

yeah my plan was to try and move to a nicer aftermarket cooler, maybe even go water cooled... any recommendations?

I personally don't like to put water inside my case, so If I could pick any cooler I would go with :
Arctic Freezer 34 esport / esport DUO
Hyper 212 Black Edition
beQuiet Dark Rock Slim / Dark Rock 4
Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black.....
.... or even the dirty cheap option I found in my third world country the Deep Cool Gammaxx GTE (just dont expect the same noise levels and performance of the others with this cheap cooler, still way better than stock one).

Those are just a few examples of good and very good aftermartket coolers.

Keep in mind you have to verify theres enough room on your motherboard and inside the case to install the tower cooler you pick!

As for water cooling, I would look for very known brands like NZXT, Corsair, Cooler master, Deep Cool, etc (also look at reviews and read comments about it), and I would get a 240mm or 280mm one (keep in mind good 240mm units will be better than cheap 280mm ones).

yeah my plan was to try and move to a nicer aftermarket cooler, maybe even go water cooled... any recommendations?

Now my CPU has a higher tdp than yours, Im running the 3800x, However when I was running my 2600, which would be pretty close to thermals as your 3600. Using the stock cooler on Apex Legends I would hit about 60-65c.

Issue with your temps is, Ryzen uses Core Turbo Boost. And Core Turbo boost shuts off after 70c. Optimal temps for Ryzen are about 66c or under to maintain a nice core boost.

When I got my 3800x, the stock cooler was pretty good. But I was seeing temps of 70-78c. So I decided to upgrade my cooler to the Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B.

Its a beefy air cooler for about 50$ online and it works amazingly. Its 154.5mm and made to fit in slimmer cases. It would also depend on your case size if this would be a good option as some slightly taller coolers, say 158mm, are just a tad better for about the same price.

I also considered going water cooling, but any AIO within 120$ has a VERY minimal impact compared to a beefy air cooler like this one. a 100$ Corsair AIO only keeps the temps, on AVERAGE about 3-4c cooler, than a beefy air cooler. Maybe not just ANY beefy air cooler, I would still recommend a good brand such as Scythe.

Now in Apex with this cooler I never see anything higher than 65c on my 3800x, but mostly around 62c. And Im SURE if you paired a cooler like this with a 65w tdp cpu like the 3600, you would see substantially less than 65, maybe like 55-58c. during apex.

Another thing to add, is I you can get LESS HEAT by setting a all core manual OC and lowering voltages. I noticed when I used turbo core boost, that my voltages would be much higher to reach the same speed as I have my manual OC at. I set my manual OC to 4.3ghz at 1.325v and my temps dropped by about 3c. With Turbo Core it would reach as high as 1.375v at 4.3ghz. So thats something to keep in mind as well.

Last edited:

asf1992

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
I personally don't like to put water inside my case, so If I could pick any cooler I would go with :
Arctic Freezer 34 esport / esport DUO
Hyper 212 Black Edition
beQuiet Dark Rock Slim / Dark Rock 4
Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black.....
.... or even the dirty cheap option I found in my third world country the Deep Cool Gammaxx GTE (just dont expect the same noise levels and performance of the others with this cheap cooler, still way better than stock one).

Those are just a few examples of good and very good aftermartket coolers.

Keep in mind you have to verify theres enough room on your motherboard and inside the case to install the tower cooler you pick!

As for water cooling, I would look for very known brands like NZXT, Corsair, Cooler master, Deep Cool, etc (also look at reviews and read comments about it), and I would get a 240mm or 280mm one (keep in mind good 240mm units will be better than cheap 280mm ones).

I have a similar setup, my idle temps are 50-55 where as on full load it reaches 95 and throttles.

I guess in India, the only good AIO options which I found for a budget were:
Antec Neptune 240​
Deepcool Castle 240​