Question r7 2700 vs r7 2700X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ELM2721

Prominent
May 28, 2019
The talk was about the i5 7 gen series . Yeah they are a nightmare to me. Never called the 7700k trash . Its a decent cpu but i made my desecion to go with the 2700 or 2700x

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My currebt cpu is trash i cant play most of my games without a stutter and fps drops and the usage stays on 100% . Plus new hardware takes time to get shipped to my country so it will be hard to wait . I guess iam going with the 2700 with base speed

You did 😉

Don't know what you meant by i5 7gen, do you have an i5 or i7 7700k?

Ya know, what's your current full spec's? I respect your decision, just curious, because if you are running 8GB ram in single channel as of now that would be holding your cpu back quite significantly.

If assumption is right, perhaps get ram first? Try them in your current system and see what happens and move them to the Ryzen build if you feel nothing changes. Dual channel doubles bandwidth for the cpu so i suspect you would see night / day difference.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
is Ocing Risky ? and can I do it with this mobo?: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M AM4
Don't buy that motherboard. Pretty much all of the gigabyte AM4 boards are trash for 8 cores with the exception of the Aorus gaming 7. If you want to run a 2700x with PBO or overclock a 2700 the power delivery and bios features matter. That board is terrible in both regards. I build 2-3 Ryzen systems per month. The Aorus M is one of the worst AM4 boards I've used. It was only surpassed in awfulness by the DS3H b450. This is a good breakdown of 400 series power delivery:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MvYeCLI5ZbIpnq5fyiWD4NCkkU/edit#gid=229691480

Stick to the mid-range tier or above and you'll be fine. This list only includes VRM info. You'll need to do your homework on the feature sets, pricing, and reliability. Ideally you'll want to budget for a decent tower cooler with either CPU to get the most from them. That being said the prism included with the x is pretty good for that CPU and the spire will give you modest OC potential on the 2700.

OC'ng ryzen is pretty easy. I use HWinfo64 to monitor. I use Prime 95 26.6 small FFT to check for peak temp. I use Intel Burn Test standard for quick initial stability test. I then use Realbench (8 hour@ half total system RAM) as a long term stability test. As a general rule I like to stay below 1.35 vcore (as reported by HWI64 under full load ) and under 80c peak temp during full load. Load line calibration will help reduce the difference between what voltage you type into the bios and what you see in HWI64 under full load. You should always drop voltage slightly between idle and load. If voltage increases between idle and load your LLC is set too high. Avoid this as it can damage the CPU from voltage spikes when transitioning from idle to load if you are really pushing the limits of the CPU. Not all boards have this feature. You'll find you hit a wall where increasing clock another 100mhz takes 100 or so more MV. At this point you'll probably be pushing the limits of your cooler and its usually a good safe place to stop pushing the overclock.

Reactions: ELM2721

ELM2721

Prominent
May 28, 2019
You did 😉

Don't know what you meant by i5 7gen, do you have an i5 or i7 7700k?

Ya know, what's your current full spec's? I respect your decision, just curious, because if you are running 8GB ram in single channel as of now that would be holding your cpu back quite significantly.

If assumption is right, perhaps get ram first? Try them in your current system and see what happens and move them to the Ryzen build if you feel nothing changes. Dual channel doubles bandwidth for the cpu so i suspect you would see night / day difference.
I have an i5 7400 right now . I wish i had an i7 7700k😅 and yeah my ram is 1x8 single chaneel

ELM2721

Prominent
May 28, 2019
Don't buy that motherboard. Pretty much all of the gigabyte AM4 boards are trash for 8 cores with the exception of the Aorus gaming 7. If you want to run a 2700x with PBO or overclock a 2700 the power delivery and bios features matter. That board is terrible in both regards. I build 2-3 Ryzen systems per month. The Aorus M is one of the worst AM4 boards I've used. It was only surpassed in awfulness by the DS3H b450. This is a good breakdown of 400 series power delivery:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MvYeCLI5ZbIpnq5fyiWD4NCkkU/edit#gid=229691480

Stick to the mid-range tier or above and you'll be fine. This list only includes VRM info. You'll need to do your homework on the feature sets, pricing, and reliability. Ideally you'll want to budget for a decent tower cooler with either CPU to get the most from them. That being said the prism included with the x is pretty good for that CPU and the spire will give you modest OC potential on the 2700.

OC'ng ryzen is pretty easy. I use HWinfo64 to monitor. I use Prime 95 26.6 small FFT to check for peak temp. I use Intel Burn Test standard for quick initial stability test. I then use Realbench (8 hour@ half total system RAM) as a long term stability test. As a general rule I like to stay below 1.35 vcore (as reported by HWI64 under full load ) and under 80c peak temp during full load. Load line calibration will help reduce the difference between what voltage you type into the bios and what you see in HWI64 under full load. You should always drop voltage slightly between idle and load. If voltage increases between idle and load your LLC is set too high. Avoid this as it can damage the CPU from voltage spikes when transitioning from idle to load if you are really pushing the limits of the CPU. Not all boards have this feature. You'll find you hit a wall where increasing clock another 100mhz takes 100 or so more MV. At this point you'll probably be pushing the limits of your cooler and its usually a good safe place to stop pushing the overclock.
Thanks alot for that info . Its very helpful . But my current budget is very imited and i cant get expensive mobos thats why i dont want to OC and thoghut ahout the b450 aorus