R7 2700x stock is at 4.7ghz at times

BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016
so i'm having a bunch of issues with new hardware. i thought it would be nice to get an R7 2700X for multitasking. After forcing it to stay at stock clocks from the bios, i open up hardware monitor and see that the clocks are going up to 4.7ghz at max, or even 5.1 ghz at times. Is this healthy for even a milisecond? also the lows go down to 2.8ghz, which is crazy to me. i turned off autoclock and it's boosting my clocks without my permission.

So, it's not totally unusual to hit high clocks on Ryzen and sometimes often beyond what's specced. It's most likely one or two cores can hit higher clocks above what the max boost clock is. I've had this chat with someone, and will try and find a screenshot he showed me, where 2 of his cores hit 4.7 and higher when system was idling, or doing basic tasks. For a split second it's fine, but remember Ryzen adjusts it's boost clocks on the fly, depending on a number of variables, including temps, cooling etc. So if you have a decent cooler, a good chip and a good mobo, it's conceivable the results you are seeing is normal.

Do a couple of things, namely, update bios to most recent for your mobo, all system drivers and software you are using to monitor your CPU usage. I'd suggest using HWMon/info for a broad spectrum of results, and MSI afterburner OSD for in game monitoring.

Also, make sure to set windows power profile to high performance, or download the AMD Performance profile to get the best and most accurate results.

Finally, list your full system specs including Ram/Mobo/PSU/GPU.

edit: just found that link: https://ibb.co/mH1G1xW

You'll see two of the cores hit 4.9 and most others were about 4.5-4.7. This was mostly while system was idling, but seriously, that's insane, given the spec for R2700x is max boost of 4.3 :)

BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016

i believe that to an extent but this is the stock cooler, it does this on all cores, and i've seen autovolting take it past 90c
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AX3-WNs0inBiqd0OcWPpgkEBnfWl7n5d/view?usp=sharing

my pc is:
MSI x470 gaming plus
16gb corsair vengeance ddr4 2133mhz
EVGA GTX 1080TI SC2
EVGA 650W 80+ Gold certified semi modular

another issue i'm having is games randomly freezing, eventually crashing at completely random times, whether all components are stock or oc'd. Think it could be a psu issue or a gpu issue, as the gpu is new and the power draw is high.
Edit: freezing is a direct result of overclocking and games don't freeze unless it's overclocking

All cores like that is again, not unusual.

Yes, the freezing with OC is because it snot stable, and at 90c is thermal throttling.

Ideally you want your OC max temps(with Prime95 small fft's) below 80c, with as low voltage as possible. At 90c your temps are just too high. The OC is too much so you need to dial it back.

It's possible the PSU is playing a part. The EVGA units are typically very good. I've a GQ model which is excellent. IF your PSU was a few years old then it might be worth thinking about a replacement.

With an OC 2700x at about 130w, plus approx 280-310w for GPU, and maybe another 80-100w for other system components, it's possible the PSU is being pushed too hard.