[SOLVED] R9 270 vs GTX 950

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

i76700hquser

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Hello guys, I've been asking some questions and now I have another one, which is better R9 270 or GTX 950? Both are 2GB but i know that the GTX 950 is 75w (the low power version of ASUS), my PSU doesn't even have that pin connectors but now I don't have money for another one, so which should I choose? Games that I play: BeamNG (medium settings, struggles a bit on my 950M), Minecraft, PC Building Simulator and some VMs and video editing at 720p60.

Cheers.

Solution
Either get a new PSU with appropriate connectors or buy the 950. Your PSU does not have a 6+2 pin because it is not designed to power a GPU requiring this connector.

Molex connections are not designed to deliver the same current as a PCIE plug. So when you draw a lot of currents, you can start melting wires and shorting to earth. Also, you may overload the PSU and cause the PSU to trip protections shutting down your PC. Or the PSU just fails and kill things.
Either get a new PSU with appropriate connectors or buy the 950. Your PSU does not have a 6+2 pin because it is not designed to power a GPU requiring this connector.

Molex connections are not designed to deliver the same current as a PCIE plug. So when you draw a lot of currents, you can start melting wires and shorting to earth. Also, you may overload the PSU and cause the PSU to trip protections shutting down your PC. Or the PSU just fails and kill things.

Solution

i76700hquser

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019

The 950 got sold which is prettybad since I was about to buy it, but I only need 6 pin, can I underclock the GPU a bit so I get less chance?
Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm only familiar with laptops.

Molex connectors are only designed for a low amount of current so the wires are only designed to handle this amount. Pcie cables are designed for much more current.

Using a molex to pcie adapter forces the wires the molex connector is attached to to deliver more current than they are designed for. That can result in the wires leading to the molex connector overheating and melting. Those wires will inevitably short to earth and at best only trip a protection and prevent your pc from booting.

Sometimes the cables wont melt, but your psu will just cripple under the stress of powering a gpu its not designed to. If a psu fails, it can kill everything in your pc including your recently installed graphics card.

In short,
If your power supply doesn't have pcie connectors, its not designed to handle a gpu that needs them. Using an adapter to gain the appropriate connectors can cause damage to your psu or other hardware in your pc.

Reactions: WildCard999

i76700hquser

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Molex connectors are only designed for a low amount of current so the wires are only designed to handle this amount. Pcie cables are designed for much more current.

Using a molex to pcie adapter forces the wires the molex connector is attached to to deliver more current than they are designed for. That can result in the wires leading to the molex connector overheating and melting. Those wires will inevitably short to earth and at best only trip a protection and prevent your pc from booting.

Sometimes the cables wont melt, but your psu will just cripple under the stress of powering a gpu its not designed to. If a psu fails, it can kill everything in your pc including your recently installed graphics card.

In short,
If your power supply doesn't have pcie connectors, its not designed to handle a gpu that needs them. Using an adapter to gain the appropriate connectors can cause damage to your psu or other hardware in your pc.
Is there a way I can check how much wattage is the computer consuming from the PSU? Just for security.

Last edited: