r9 270x not running properly.. Stick with Nvidia upgrading from the 550ti?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my GPU from a 550ti to an r9 270x, only to find out that the "upgrade" was more or less a downgrade..

My current PC Specs are:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0ghz
PSU: 650W Unbranded
RAM: 2x 4GB HyperX Ram
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Montior 1: 32" Samsung HDTV 1360X768 Through HDMI
Monitor 2: Old hunk of crap for side programs.

Seems as it is, the r9 270x barely hits 100fps in MineCraft and then my 550ti powerhouses through it with 300+ FPS.. No mods, no texture packs.

On World of Warcraft, the 270x hits SOMETIMES 60fps.. and my 550ti never drops below 70 unless in a major zone/city in game.

On BF4, the 270x I had ran HIGH settings at about 50 FPS but when livestreaming can't even play in low settings at 30 FPS.. and my 550ti is running at High settings at 40 frames.. and when livestreaming at medium settings it sits around 45fps

I really don't know what to think about this card besides the fact that it may just be defective?..

All in all, would it be worth to upgrade to a 670, or a 770?.. would the FPS increase be substantial at all?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Solution
The AMD 270x series are still new and as far as i can tell myself using 2 x AMD 270x in crossfire mode the drivers are immature. I would wait for the new non beta drivers which should be due out in the next month. I have tested one 270x for you and I do have a performance boost from my AMD 7850 on most games but Assassins Creed 4 i don't. AMD have yet to release drivers to optimize the game for the card.
I have yet to install Battlefield 4 so can't help with that as i'm still playing through Batman Arkham Origins and Assassins creed 4:)

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Ah, and you assume that im was contesting you on your knowledge of the subject matter, but in actuality I was not. I'll drop the obnoxious sarcasm and just put it bluntly since you can't seem to get the message otherwise:

Just because someone's wrong on something doesn't mean you should insult them because of it, especially when they only intended to help someone in the first place. We all make mistakes, and if you expect to help people and want people to benefit from your knowledge, you shouldn't act like a smug ass who thinks he's so above another that he can just put on a condescending attitude. Last time I checked, moderators were supposed to be on the lookout for such unnecessarily abusive remarks.

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Honestly is just spamming my email with this nonsense and no help to my issue, so to all of you, thanks for that..

For my solution, I get to keep the 5 games I got for free from BestBuy, (BF4, SR4, Dues Ex, Hitman Absolution, and Thief IV) and I will be going back to exchange for an EVGA 2gb 660ti, or a EVGA 2gb 760, for the shadowplay they offer to livestreaming video games.

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

If you checked what I had said, I did a fresh windows installation so I had no conflicting drivers with two different cards.

You are the one who responded with cocky sarcasm.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
There's always the off chance you have a defective card?

Oh, and the obvious thing I forgot to ask, how are your temps? If they're getting too high, the card could be throttling, though it's doubtful minecraft would make it throttle. Still, what do your temps look like idle and in games?

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Temps don't even reach 60 degrees at 60% power while on MineCraft.. Idle they are a very steady low 30-40 degrees..

I'm going to try and switch out for a nvidia card instead.

jay2577

Honorable
The AMD 270x series are still new and as far as i can tell myself using 2 x AMD 270x in crossfire mode the drivers are immature. I would wait for the new non beta drivers which should be due out in the next month. I have tested one 270x for you and I do have a performance boost from my AMD 7850 on most games but Assassins Creed 4 i don't. AMD have yet to release drivers to optimize the game for the card.
I have yet to install Battlefield 4 so can't help with that as i'm still playing through Batman Arkham Origins and Assassins creed 4:)

Solution

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Wait, by 60% power do you mean 60% GPU usage? Because ideally with v-sync and frame caps off, your GPU for any game should always be working at its maximum potential. For a GPU that isn't being bottlenecked, that means that your GPU would always be working at 99%...

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Not exactly sure, but the card isn't working at maximum power at all. I'd prefer a Nvidia card over AMD, So, in a few hours once Best Buy opens I'll head out and see what I can get.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Hmm alright, but if you want to check quickly, use MSI Afterburner to monitor your GPU usage. If it's not working at 99% or close to that most of the time, then there's likely a bottleneck that appeared in your system. As for where or how appeared, I can't say. If there actually is a bottleneck, then maybe there's an off chance that one of your ram sticks went bad at a very inconvenient time?

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Could be very possible.. Although I've already boxed up the R9 270X and Reinstalled my 550ti for the time being and everything is running fine again.

I don't think it would be the RAM considering that the card itself uses dedicated memory, bad memory usually results in an un-bootable system

Considering that nowadays we use universal drivers, as long as you're using a driver 320.49 or up, you can just plop in a 760 and it should be fine (hopefully your PSU should have enough juice to power it), though if you really prefer to have squeaky clean drivers you could uninstal your drivers through control panel, then use driversweeper to clean out the remaining files and then do a clean installation of the latest drivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXs3DHdbTUg

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Ok, one last guess:

PSU bottleneck? I'm almost positive that the R9 270X draws more power than the GTX 550 Ti. Additionally, you said it was only working at 60% power, right? Combined that with the fact that you have an unmarked PSU and well... That might be the issue. Look at your PSU and on the white sticker it has, how many amps do you see it has on the 12 volt rail?

If a PSU is insufficient to power a card it should generally shut down the system once any amount of gaming load is applied upon it, it'd be hard to measure the power you're using unless you use a hwmonitor or something so he probably means 60% of GPU usage

An insufficient PSU usually leads to instability and crashes, generally not performance issues

The manufacturer recommends around 30A for the GTX 760 and your other system components so any decent 500W+ unit from a decent brand should do the job fine

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

The power supply was a gift for free really, so no loss either way.
I am really considering waiting a week, maybe two and grabbing a GTX 780

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I could probably consider upgrading my motherboard aswell.. Perhaps get a 990FX or something of the likes. The power supply handled my friends dual 680's though, (not sure how) but I think I'm okay with it for now.

Wicked88

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
@Mezix:

First thing you should look is the PCI-E slot you are using.
Your motherboard has 2x PCI-E 2.0, but one of em is not gonna give you full performance:

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue),1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) (black one only for 2nd card)

When I upgraded from my old 9800GTX+ (300 euro's back then) I thought I bought a defect as well.
But luckely I found out that there is 1 slot always limited, unless you buy a quality board with 2x PCI-E 2.0 16x with all 16 lanes available.

Here a few links:

550Ti vs R9 270X

550Ti vs GTX 760

GTX 760 vs R9 270X

As you can see at the first comparison, you should have a big performance boost with your new R9 card.
First, like said above, try to clean up all the drivers with this tool (found @ Guru3D.com)
Then, install a fresh set of your 270x drivers from their website here.

I also saw that you're using an HD-ready screen. This should boost both party's as the amount of data is smaller (less pixels).
So I think as well that there is a driver problem, maybe an overclocking program as well (if you used one before) so check out the software and let us know.

edit: on your bottleneck problem: your setup is just fine. I am running an GTX280 who consumes aprox 5~10Watt more then the GTX 770. Running AMD X4 20, 2 slots ram, 2 hard drives, SSD, DVD burner, 1x140MM fan and 5x 120MM fan.

My CoolerMaster M520 is still keeping my system running after 2 years so.. With 130Watt more, you're gonna have enough even with a C-brand :lol:

Mezix

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

I've already tried everything you've stated.. even restoring my windows to factory defaults by the disk.
None of that helped, so I ran back to Bestbuy and switched out the card for an Nvidia equivalent, to find the Nvidia card works flawlessly and the AMD one was defective. I appreciate the feedback, but sadly the card was defective.