[SOLVED] R9 280 black screen

Dec 5, 2019
Hi. I got 2x r9 280's from friends for super cheap ($10) since they upgraded cause the R9 280's broke. I reflowed one and it works great gaming is awesome etc. But randomly and not alot a black screen would apear as if my monitor lost signal but sound is still present. What can the problem be?

PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 stock cooler (Waiting for AIO)
GPU: AMD R9 280 3GB (Saving for 1660 ti)
RAM: Corsair 16gb rgb pro
PSU: Antec 700 VP
CASE: ANTEC NX400

Solution
Not sure if I have the solution to your problem, but I've been experiencing these same issues (also on AMD) as well. Monitor shows 'No signal' sound still going. Even on my previous rig (4670K + R9 290X) these problem would occur. Even sent in an RMA for my PSU but I really doubt that's the problem.

You could try using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode and basically remove any and all display drivers present.

At this point, I'm really starting to think issues with the AMD's drivers/Windows are way more likely to be causing this issue tbh.

NickV96

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Not sure if I have the solution to your problem, but I've been experiencing these same issues (also on AMD) as well. Monitor shows 'No signal' sound still going. Even on my previous rig (4670K + R9 290X) these problem would occur. Even sent in an RMA for my PSU but I really doubt that's the problem.

You could try using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode and basically remove any and all display drivers present.

At this point, I'm really starting to think issues with the AMD's drivers/Windows are way more likely to be causing this issue tbh.

Solution