R9 290 strange Crash

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
Hey

Yep i got a problem with the well known R9 290. When i am playing a GPU demanding game like GTA 5 my Screen tend to go fully black. When my screen goes black i see for like 1 second i see some small white stripes on my screen. these are gone after one sec. i got left behind with a full black screen. People on skype still can hear me and i can hear them. the game sound bugged out. the only thing to fix it is manually reboot my pc. i am now running furmark with a camera pointed to my monitor in the hope i will catch it so i can send it as evidence before i RMA it. i contacted on Club 3D insights and a guy told me to contact support with my serial number so they can send me a BIOS for my R9 290.

So far tryed
Newest drivers
Removed old drivers with DDU
50% power limiter
Underclocked my card
Dusted out
Reseated card
Increased fan speed ( doesnt get passed 72 degrees on 100% gpu load for a while )

My specs are
Intel I5 4440
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
MSI H81M P33
Coolermaster G550M
Coolermaster Storm trooper with 2X stock fans and 4x sickleflows 120mm with great airflow
R9 290 Club 3D Royalking

This pc is like 3 months old

So short sayed
Black screen with white stripes for 1sec. after that fully black screen have to manually reboot pc. Running furmark now and it didnt happend.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Try rolling back the drivers a release or two, there may be some bugs in the GTA V drivers that cause problems, several people have reported that on both nvidia and amd cards. If the issues are isolated to just GTA V, then you may need to wait for a patch.

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012

i tryed rolling back 1 driver. that made Gta 5 unplayable for me due alot of laggs while riding. the Beta drivers fixed that for me.
So far im furmarking now 1 hour + and no crash

any other GPU benchmarks than will stress my gpu more in the hope i can capture it ?

yep. sounds like a driver problem not a hardware problem. gpu hardware issues look different. sounds like you're getting a driver crash.

I think AMD is coming out with a new BETA driver soon that should improve performance and stability in GTAV, The Witcher 3 and Project CARS

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I'm aware of 3DMark benchmarks, but if it's just GTA V or other new games, then there might very well be nothing wrong with your system other than faulty drivers, which AMD will have to fix on their next release.