R9 Fury X - Safe to not mount the liquid cooler?

Starwind87

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I recently upgraded myself to an R9 Fury X from an air cooled HD 7990. I have plenty of room in my case for the liquid cooler for the Fury X, but didn't realize until I'd actually gotten the card that I have an issue...

My exhaust port is already taken for the liquid cooler on my CPU, but I have another on the top of the case that I was going to use.

It would have worked, except I failed to take into account the metal mesh over the top of the port that covers the top half-ish of my case. It is removable, but after screwing in the liquid cooler I'm not able to put it back on due to the screws from the cooler. Which means to have it mounted there I'd have the entire top of my PC as just a giant gaping hole and the radiator for the cooler.

I would definitely prefer not to do this, which is why I'm asking about a second option - the cooler fits perfectly and snugly into to gap between the rack for my hard drives and optic drive, but there is no place to screw it in there.

Between the fit and a bit of push from the cables themselves it is held tightly in place, and blows the heated air from the radiator out a similar metal mesh in the front of the case. I've tested it a bit and it seems to still vent heat perfectly (running ~60 C under load), and doesn't appear to move at all even with the fan cranked up.

My question is... Would it be safe to leave it there, not screwed into anything? I can't think of anything that it would hurt, but I'd like some other opinions on the matter.