Question RAC2V1A - Port forwarding woes

Jun 18, 2022
Hello. I'm having issues port forwarding a Spectrum router - specifically the RAC2V1A. As far as I'm aware the settings in the router are correct, the port I'm trying to forward is 10578. My question is has anyone here ever had issues port forwarding with this specific type of router and if so, what was the fix? If any.

I've tried setting DMZ on the machine I'm trying to port forward but this didn't work either. It's really baffling to me why I can't seem to get the game I'm trying to play to work even with DMZ enabled. I'm guessing there's some setting somewhere I'm missing or I'm putting something in wrong.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

DMZ tends to be easier to setup correctly on some routers. Not the optimum long term solution because of security but easier to get correct on some routers that have strange port forwarding configurations.

So if we assume that the port forwarding rule are correct you have 2 other possibilties.

The most common reason it does not work is many people are not being given a public IP by their ISP. You should be able to see the IP on some router screen that shows you the IP that the ISP has given your router. Compare this with the IP you see on whats my IP. If they are different
you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work.

The other common problem is that the server is not actually listening on that port. There must be a program running on the port to respond to the port scanners. You need to verify that there is actually a program associated with the port. You can see it in the network tab of the resource monitor.

Jun 18, 2022
Hi, thanks for replying.

I did check and the IP between my router does match between what's listed there and what's my IP. I do indeed have a public IP. I know the servers are listening because I am able to connect to them locally via 127.0.0.1

I'm really baffled and unsure what the problem is. The router itself seems to be working just fine. I just can't get port forwarding to work right.

Instead of using 127.0.0.1 can you use another device on your lan and use lan address of the server like 192.168.x.x. 127.0.0.1 can do really strange stuff sometime. The traffic does not actually go through all the same software.

Try to disable the firewall and maybe the virus software temporarily on your server.

After this is tricky to find what is broken. You could first load wireshark and try to capture the traffic. What you need to see is if you are getting any packets coming into that port or if you get the packet but the server does not respond.
Wireshark can be overwhelming at first. If you are careful and minimize the traffic you can manually just brute force through a capture and see what you find without learning about filters. What you might also do is use the dmz option and then use the port scanner site to do a range
of ports. Even though they will fail you should see the traffic coming into your machine. This is more for the unlikely possibility the ISP has some filter.