Question Radeon™ RX 570 GAMING 4GB Crashing during demanding games.

Jun 30, 2021
Hi guys, first post on the forum so apologies if my post format needs some work.

Backstory: About a week ago I purchased a pre built gaming PC second hand. Everything seemed to be running perfectly fine until I got a black screen during a game of Warzone. When the screen shuts off, the audio buzzes for a couple of seconds before stopping, and the RGB lights on the GPU turn off. I have noticed that the white LED indicating "abnormal power supply" has flashed a couple of times on the GPU when this has happened, but not every time. When the screen shuts off I have to perform a hard reset to get it running again.

PC Specs

It seems that this issue occurs more often when I am running more demanding games, as it tends to crash within 15-20 minutes on Warzone, but I can often play less demanding games such as Rocket League or Valorant for hours without issue.

I checked if the drivers are up to date, which they are, then proceeded to download WhoCrashed to see if I could get any more info. Here is what WhoCrashed tells me:

On Sun 27/06/2021 13:43:32 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062721-12687-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (0xFFFFF80439EFB104)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80439EFB104, 0xFFFFF10A7E9D8F20, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

I also checked windows event viewer, and this critical message is there from when the PC crashed:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I believe this message is due to me having to force a restart when the screen goes black.

Anybody have any idea where I could start to try and fix this issue? Im going to order a thermal paste kit to see if that will help at all, but after that I havent really got any ideas.

Thanks in advance!