Radeon 2 and 3 info @ Digit-life

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
According to our sources ATI roadmap looks like this:

<b>R200 (Radeon2) series</b>

. . R200 - 4 pipelines, 250MHz core, .15 micron, DX8.1 support, HydraVision technology support
. . AGP 4X bridge enables dual R200 configurations (MAXX)) - samples May, mass production September

. . RV200 - 2 pipelines, 250MHz core, .15 micron, HydraVision - samples May, mass production
. . September

<b>R300 series</b>

. . RL300 - 4 pipelines, .15 micron, DX9 support, HydraVision - early samples Q4'01

. . RV300 - 4 pipelines, 300MHz core, .15 micron, DX9 support, HydraVision - early samples Q4'01

. . R300 - 8 pipelines, 300MHz (or higher) core, .15 micron, DX9 support, HydraVision - early
. . samples Aug'01
<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/news.html#989604871" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/news.html#989604871</A>

Radeon2 50mhz faster then the current GF3 and MAX capable and ready to dump on the market anytime from the get go. Nvidia better watch out, ATI is smoking, soon the fire will blaze at Nvidia's feet. R300? 8 pipes!!!!! :smile: Let me smoke one please :lol: .

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/12/01 12:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Why do they keep mentioning HydraVision all over the place? It doesn't seem to be anything new. even the VE has that!

mmmm... ...Donuts... ...I mean Direct X 9....

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
OMG Radeon 2 MAXX !!!!!!!!!!! Mean those could blow away the Geforce3 ultra !!!! Directx 8.1 WOW, It will also have more features the it. Ill buy it first day for a MAXX.

The only nice Intel guy.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
My future predictions: (don't bet on it)

1. Rad2 toast the GF3 initially, also everyone is buying gamecubes as well. :cool:
2. nVidia fights back with GF3 ultra which puts the GF3 at the same clock as Rad2, Xbox is release.
3. ATI lashes back with Rad2 Max, which smashes GF3 ultra, no one wants the GF3 Ultra nor the XBox :redface:
3. nVidia releases NV30, renames it to TForce (The Force) but is not Directx9.0 compliant, has buggy drivers, doesn't work in XP. :frown:
4. ATI releases Rad 3 fully Directx 9.1 compliant, gamecube is the hit of the world, every kid wants one, parents remember there first game machine the nintendo, sells sky rocket. :lol:
5. ATI releases second version of FireGL card using Rad3, 8 pipe and takes over the professional market from nVidia. :wink:
6. nvidia stocks pluments, Xbox is cancelled due to poor sells and high cost to produce, plus few software games that are intriguing enough to play. :eek:
7. ATI buys out nVidia. :tongue:
8. ATI declared an international monopoly and is split up into pieces, which 3dfx is resurected and puts out the Rampage Revenge chip, RR, which kills everyone. :eek:
9. nvidia is never heard of or thought about again. :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/12/01 12:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Lol! good one!

Heres my prediction:

1. Radeon 2 is released, It allows better DVD playback and retains better compressed texture quality than the GF3, but is not as fast.

2. New faster GF3 is released and is dx8.1 compliant. XBOX is released, everyone loves it, developers love it because of the familiar and easy programming language and architecture, and also for not having to pay royalties for developing its games.

3. Graphics cards based on the nv30 is released. It is fully compliant with dx9.1, but very expensive. The Radeon 3 is released, but its not as fast as the nv30, nor does it compare due to its lacking features. ATI's official stance: it is meant to compete with the GF3 ULTRA.

4. nVidia release a wicked platform for AMD Chips.

5. Gamecube is released, but its proprietary game format and dvd incompatibility makes it a big no no to consumers. Also, developers don't like it because of having to pay royalties. Result: people start using it as stools.

6. nv30 Workstation is released using nvidia system and graphics architecture, and proves superior to 3DLabs Wildcat series, and thus is accepted in medium level Workstation graphics. While, FireGL still remains as an entry level 3D development.

7. nVidia Presedent develops a heart and decides enough is enough, we need to lower our graphics card prices.

8. People put their Gamecubes away with their Atari Jaguars and their Dreamcasts.

9. Kyro 3 is finally released and they realise every one else has programmible shaders, while they only have fixed t&l.

10. I Aquire nVidia in a poker game and start taking over all other technology companies including AMD, Intel, ATI, IBM, Sun, Apple, Adobe, Macromedia & AOL Time Warner and decide to launch my Global Domination Initiative.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
LOL, well looks like I would win in that poker game. We will see which scenario is more correct as time passes by. I think we will both be surprised as time progresses. Especially if Kyro2 takes off, meaning much more money for Kyro3.

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
I am very curios to see how X-Box sells. From what ive heard, MICROSOFT has done something right for once. (along with windows 2000) . Could microsoft be turning soft? making things that work finally? lol.

In anycase, I don't think nvidia is gona die anytime soon. unless for some weird reason they pull a 3dfx.

I WANT THE 3dfx GLIDE API BACK!!!!
--DarkPhire

Makaveli

Splendid
I'm looking forward to the Ati Radeon2 I will sell my current 64mb Radeon for it. As for performance and FPS
I think it will be right up there with the Geforce 3 and the driver support will be much improved as it already is.
As for image quality it will still own Nvidia. But right now I like both companies cause they will only lower prices for us the customer. As for Kyro good luck to them, but I still see there card as a low budget card.

What most important to me when buying a new video card!

1. Price
2. Image Quality
3. Features
4. Performance
5. Compatibility
In that order!

G

radeon will improve their's market share!
30-40 % in 2002

I think that kyro will take the place left open by 3dfx...
kyro 2/3/etc.. wining 30-40 % in 2002

nvidia will enjoy last place 20-30 % in 2002

Nvidia think that killing the competition (like 3dfx) is feasible !
no it's not!
It will only give some space open for others to ocupy !!!
LOL

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
It was a dark period of time where the evil empire was ruled through the Emperor Microsoft and Darth Nvidia. A small but well trained and courages bunch of ATI rebels lead the assault for the end of the tyranny. The battle is fierce, the empire was surprised at the speed of the attack and the accuracy. The Emperor issues an order to Lord Nvidia, "Get ready the X-Box, wipe them out,,,all of them,," an evil smile is felt with a cold chill sucking inside of you. Come look at this last attempt for true freedom, freedom of your mind and of course your darn video card... Wait a minute, the video cards are dead, it has to be shown using the gamecube: :frown:

<A HREF="http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/rogueleader/rogueleader2.jpg" target="_new">Die you Rebel scum!</A>

<A HREF="http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/rogueleader/rogueleader1.jpg" target="_new">Eat this . . . .</A>

<A HREF="http://www.tendogamers.com/screenshots/gcn/rogue/rs2-8.jpg" target="_new">Mean while getting the Xbox ready . . .</A>

Well while the X-box is getting ready compare these images between the Gamecube and the movie images. See how the prophesy is being completed.

<A HREF="http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/rogue2/roguecubecompare2.jpg" target="_new">Uncanny realism</A>

<A HREF="http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/rogue2/roguecubecompare1.jpg" target="_new">Which is which?</A>

X-box is ready to shoot, oh no!!!!

<A HREF="http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/outlawgolf/bg3.jpg" target="_new">Which ball?</A>

<A HREF="http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/outlawgolf/bg5.jpg" target="_new">Your club is broken . . .</A>

Oh well the X-box missed and the rebels won. <b>HURRAY!!!!!!!!</b>

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/12/01 08:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Whats the basis of this prediction and which market share are you talking about? ...desktop, entry level Gaming, Performance gaming, low end workstation, high end workstation, mobile?

Current Market Status:

Desktop Graphics:
Mostly nVidia TNT2, followed by Matrox Millenium G400 and Ati Rage Pro.

Entry Level Gaming:
nVidia with its GeForce 1, GeForce 2 mx. Then comes 3DFX Talking from the grave with its extensive range of cards from the voodoo 3 and 4. ATI is quite far behind with its Radeon LE and VE. Kyro 1 has a tiny amount of market share. Matrox has a bigger share that Imagination Technologies kyro.

Medium Range Gaming:
nVidia again has the major share with the GeForce GTS and GeForce Pro. ATI has its Radeon 64 but only manages to capture a much smaller share. 3DFX also tastes a little of this sector with its voodoo 5 range. The Kyro 2 is not released yet.

Performance Gaming:
The Sales in this sector is much smaller than the others but the cost is higher. I dont think anything is competing with the GeForce 2 Ultra for this space.

Entry level Workstation:
ATI havent had FireGL long enough to claim profit in the low end. nVidia are agin ruling this section with there Quadro 1 & 2 range. Oxygen from 3DLabs can do a bit aswell.

Medium Level Workstation:
The newer fireGLs come in this sector. But this section is ruled by 3D Labs with its WildCat Range.

High end Mobile:
ATI rule this sector, but nVidia is starting to catch up.

Low end mobile:
I suppose people like neographics have a big chunk of the market share here.

See nVidia is like a rolling stone now, it has huge momentum. It has a brand recognised and liked by oems. ATI used to be the oem favourites but they lost a lot of their customers, who now favour nvidia.

IMGTEC will have to work hard to get market share. I dont think they have a product to revolutonise the market and earn them a huge chunk of any sector to give them a market lead. Nor do they have a broad range of products to earn them enough from each sector to give them an overall market lead. I don't think they'll cut it just yet. They'll just have to take the 3rd place in the entry-medium gaming sectors. Overall they'll be far behind the likes of nVidia, ATI and matrox.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
No fare... XBOX got destracted by the picture of the golfing lady.

The Empire will strike back... Oh yes... It will strike back.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I checked out IGNs comparison between the three main consoles. There red ink bit on microsofts official comparison sheet was kinda funny, but the article was stupid. It was more like a buncho guys ranting over other people having it better than them.

Their stance was microsoft and sony gave theoretical figures, and I agree with that. But they were saying Nintendo was giving ingame figures and they were being extremely conservative. I disagree with that. no company will try to shoot them selves in the foot like that. The only reason a company will go out of routine and give realistic figures like that is because their theoretical numbers are considerably lower than the competition.

IGN were also saying that the Game Cube is "capable" of 256 Audio channels but nintendo are just saying that it can do 64. That just dont make sense. In answer to XBox's 3D Audio cpabilities, IGN are saying that the Gamecube supports dolby prologic. No wonder nintendo were keeping this quiet. Dolby prologic is not at all suitable for gaming audio. It is a static surround algorithm. DirectSound 3D, on the other hand, is dynamically processed 3D Audio. This is what you need for games.

I did like the huge 12.8GB bandwidth of the Game Cube. Personally I think the Gamecube is just a gaming console for kids. The Xbox in comparison is an entertainment system you can place in the living room. It could have been made to look better though. You cannot play dvd's on the gamecube. Also coming out 6 months later than the XBox you would like for it to have superior hardware.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
<b>When is the Xbox coming out?</b>

Fall of 2001 is the estimated release date from Microsoft at this point. As for exact dates, we've heard rumors saying that October is the launch month, and that October 22nd might just be the launch day. Other reports have suggested a mid-November launch. As for an actual date, Microsoft is expected to make an announcement at E3

<b>How much is the Xbox going to cost?</b>

From the looks of things, the Xbox will release at $299 US. Not only have Microsoft officials commented that the system will come out at a price indicative of the current market, citing a $300 as the current benchmark, but several online retailers have hinted that the 'Box will launch at $299 or less. Microsoft is expected to make an official announcement regarding the price in a matter of weeks, but until then, you'd be wise to plan on putting away about three bills for Bill, if you know what we mean.

<b>How many games will be available at launch?</b>

While no specific titles have been confirmed for the actual day and date of the launch, Microsoft has stated they're seeking to have somewhere between <b>12-20 titles</b> on store shelves the day the Xbox hits the shelves, with upwards of 30+ titles in stores by the end of 2001.

http://xbox.ign.com/
What a joke 12-20 titles for the X-box. No real confirmed date and $299!

Although an exact release date for NINTENDO GAMECUBE has not been announced, the current plan is to launch the system in Japan in July 2001 and in North America in October 2001. Keep checking Nintendo.com for updates as they become available!

http://www.nintendo.com/gamecube/index.html
I bet the price of the gamecube will be half the cost of the X-box plus 3-6 times more games, no confirm date either.

G

My bro told me that they either had to add more ram or the ram cost was more than expected (can't remember which) and that the price of the gamecube would be more than what they wanted to put it out as. Anyone else hear anything about this?

One good thing about xbox is that the games for that system can be easily converted to computer. If the gamecube fallows anything like it's predecessor it won't. Most if not all games for the n64 has bombed coming to the computer because it was outdated by the time it made it or just plain old didn't cut it. Nintendo might not want the games going to pc either because then they might not get full royalties for the games, but I have no idea if they would or not.

All in all we've got some interesting times ahead.

mpjesse

Splendid
If anyone should no better it's ATI with their unintellegent "MAXX" design. The Rage MAXX is a perfect example- it performed almost no better than a single Rage. 3dfx learned it's lesson on dual processors- but too late. They suffered a sell out. ATI isn't doing so well these days. They lost Apple and they'll lose the mobile market soon too.

They need to learn that doubling up on GPU's is a half-ass way of doing things. nVidia has never done it (with the exception of their Quadro line which is for high end crap) and look how much better each of their new GPU's performs.

The Radeon 3 will flop.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

intel still sell more graphic chips than nvidia (integrated in their's motherboads)
;)
I was only making a prediction nothing more..
:)

I was refering for all the segments... in 2002 (not now)
hehe

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by powervr2 on 05/13/01 09:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
In "Ex Machina" on .tv they said the Game Cube will suffer Huge delays In Japan, which may carry over to the US and Europe. So, you'de be lucky to see any GameCubes before 2002 in the US.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I don't think Intel sells enough integrated graphics chips to beat nVidias total sale. I dont think they even beat ATIs Total sale.