Radeon 6770 appears to freeze at Starting Windows screen

spleen1015

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
My Radeon 5770 video card went on the fritz. I sent it in to XFX and they said it was faulty, so they sent me a 6770 to replace it.

I finally got the card today and put it in. The first time it booted up, I got to the Windows login prompt but the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. I tried different USB ports, but that didn't work. So, I put them back in the originals and held down the power button to force it to shutdown.

After the shutdown, whenever I let the computer boot into Windows normally, it seems to freeze on the 'Starting Windows' screen. I can hear the sound that Windows plays when it gets to the log in screen. I can even type in my password and it plays the sound it plays when it gets into Windows, but the screen never changes.

I am assuming that I have a driver conflict at this point since I had a 5770 before and a 6770 now. When I boot into Safe Mode, I can't find any where to get rid of the old drivers. I've tried Device Manager, I have tried running the Catalyst program and it just keeps throwing errors at me.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.