Radeon 9700 Pro is CRAP!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Not always, babe. It can be memory, memory overvolting, memory overtiming, cpu with "hotspots" (i.e. didn't get gel covering the whole processor, hsf is askew), and it can be a northbridge overheating. It can be leaking capicators on the mainboard. I've seen one instance where it was an ass-old PIO4 24x cdrom drive.

But yeah, most of the time, it's a psu. =)

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

Chase121

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
Thanks for the tip, I tried to call ATI but they were closed for the Holiday... Columbus Day?!?!?!?... I got to get a job there geez.

You all bring up a great point on my PSU. I dont know how to tell if I got a powerful enough one for my machine. Maybe this can help:

My Computer consist of these iteams:

512 Megs Rambus 4200 Non-Ecc
Pentium 4 / 2.5 MhZ
Asus P4T533 Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sound Blaster Audigy plantium
Linksys 10/100 Card
Adaptec Ultra 320 SCSI Card
Teckram SCSI Card
Liteon DVD/CD Rom (IDE)
Plextor CD Burner (SCSI)
Seagate 15K rpm SCSI Harddrive
Seagate IDE Harddrive (Backup)
Standard Floppy
Tower with a 320W Max Power Supply
Also a Sony Trinitron GMD-F520 21" Monitor

Like I metioned before, at times when playing either UT2K3, or Quake 3 it will most likely come to a hard lock up/crash (even cntr/alt/del will not work). Some times it will close the game out and give a very general error but it is hard to read cause the picture is so distored and way off color (which makes me think its a viedo card issue). And other times it jsut blanks the screen and reboots on its own. Im at a complete loss on this and any feedback is welcome. I will check my power supply, but still hard to know if thats what I need, is 320W enogh for what i have?

Again I appericate an help on this issue.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
According to ATI 300W is enough, only recomended even! But with that setup you might need a more powerfull power-suply.

Imagine how sales would have gone if they had anounced that their new card needs at least a 380 watt PSu to work properly.

The color problems you mentioned suggests that it might not be the PSU that´s malfunctioning. It might be the monitor, but I´ve only heard good things about Sony monitor-quality.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>