Radeon 9800 problems?

ruibexiga

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Hello,

I wonder if you guys can help me ?

I bought a sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128 and in the second day I accidentally totched with a metal clip, and the card made smoke, near the memorys!!!
But since then I didn’t notice any problems, (besides the incompatibility with sis chipset, resolved with new asus p4c800 (875p)).
The only strange thing, is that sometimes ( about 3 untill now) when my computer starts it says bad bios checksum r350 …samsung…something, I don´t know if is this the fault of my system instability: sometimes click in some button and the pc shutdowns, i am listen to winamp and open exact audio extractor and the pc shutdowns and sometimes it just shutdowns in the middle of something., is like some one push the plug.

I have to analize all my hardware.

Maybe is hd related since i have 1/2 year old wd 800jb witch sometimes makes strange clicks like lwhen the computer starts but i wonder if this not psu related, also, but I have a high quality one (nexus nx 4000)

I already thought of the mobo to, since is a asus p4c800 witch is know to have memory compatibilities problems.

Do you think that the Culp right is the Radeon? Or what?

My setup:
Cpu: Pentium 4 2800c
Motherboard: Asus p4c800
Memory: 2x twinmos value 512
Graphic Card: Sapphire 9800 pro
Psu: Nexus NX 4000
O.S: Windows XP with every updates, except SP1
Sound Card: Audigy 2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's possible you might have damaged the card, but it's more likely you have a problem with your power supply.

By the way, I've been doing this a LONG time, I don't know of any video card compatability issues with ANY SiS P4 chipset. I do know about a few poorly designed board that used SiS chipsets though, the WORST of which was made by Asus, the P4S8X.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ruibexiga

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
It really was that stupid asus board the p4s8x but, but i saw other brands with non intel chipsets with similar problems with the 9800 pro!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus was the worst, Abit or MSI had one that wasn't much good, Gigabyte had a good 648 chipset board. It had to do with the memory bus design some board makers used as far as I know, being improperly improvised to support equal length traces, and stability further hampered by 8x speed access to local RAM from the AGP card.

Face it, board makers make SiS look bad by designing the boards for the least expensive chipsets in the cheapest way possible. It's a matter of "this is our cheapest chipset, just toss it on whatever you can come up with".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>