Radeon Drivers install?

G

Hey does anyone have any experience running the Radeon 32Mb DDR under Win2K? I've got it, but the only drivers I've been able to get to work are like the default ones that come off of WindowsUpdate.com. Every time I try to download the correct drivers from the ATI site and install them, they throw this weird error "Severe: This device is not supported by these drivers" or something similar. I know for a fact I am downloading the correct ones. ATI knows about this problem, and claims the latest drivers fix this, but I've had no luck. I'm really hoping maybe someone out there has found how to fix this problem, cause ATI's tech support is no help at all. Please post a solution if you know of one!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Are you using the ATI installation program or W2K driver update method? Either will work. Let me know so that I can hopefully help you.

G

I have been trying to use the ATI installation program. I tried doing it the long way several times, by removing the driver from my Add/Remove programs list, and removing the device from my device list, going through the registry and deleting ATI keys, finding ati .inf files and deleting them, and rebooting. That didn't work either. Those steps were suggested on another forum site. Maybe you know of something to do that I haven't done yet. Thanks if you do!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Please post your system specs; chipset, cpu, ram, previous video card. Which drivers are you trying to load? I recommend downloading the 3102 drivers or the 3116 drivers directly from ATI if you havn't already.
<A HREF="http://support.ati.com/products/pc/radeon/win2k/radeon_win2k_drivers.html" target="_new">http://support.ati.com/products/pc/radeon/win2k/radeon_win2k_drivers.html</A>
Will walk you through using the driver update method after I get more info on your system. Please be patient.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Oops, looks like you downloaded the new drivers, sorry, please give system information.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 04/11/01 09:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Chipset: i815 (E I think?)
CPU: Intel P3-866MHz
RAM: 384MB PC-133
No Previous video card
Drivers: I had tried both the 3102 and the 3116 Drivers from ATI site.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The 815E has built in graphics. Looks like the ATI program is detecting the built in graphics vice the Radeon. In device manager under <b>Display Manger</b> ensure only one device is being detected if not then you have to deactivate the built in graphics. Some motherboards have jumpers for this others have bios settings. You did say that W2k loaded the 2d drivers for the Radeon so I will plot the course to load the drivers using the driver update method. You will need to know where the 3102 or 3116 drivers unziped its files. This is where when you started the ATI W2K InstallShield Wizard it querry on Location to Save Files. I will use the 3102 drivers as a reference since I now have them loaded on my machine. Note: if W2k loads these drivers for the built in graphics of the 815E chipset you might be lucky if W2k will boot up afterwards. So here we go:

1. Open up <b>Device Manger</b>, expand <b>Display adapters</b>
2. Hopefully only one device is indicated for Display adapters, right click on the Radeon device.
3. With open menu choose <b>Properties</b> then <b>Drivers</b> tab.
4. Press <b>Update Driver...</b> button
5. In <b>Welcome to the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard</b> choose <b>Next</b>
6. Choose <b>Display a list of the known drivers for this device so that I can shoose a specific driver</b> then press <b>Next</b>
7. Press <b>Have Disk...</b>, <b>Browse</b> and locate folded with the 3102 drivers /ATI/W2K_RADEON_5_+13_01_3102/AtiDrive
8. In folder <b>ATIDRIVE</b> click on <b>atiintag.inf</b>, then choose <b>Open</b>. (This is an information file which W2k will use to configure the new drivers.)
9. From <b>Install From Disk</b> press <b>OK</b>
10.Device Driver Wizard will querry you to pick a model and what you will see is a list of Radeon's with no clear discriptions. You will need to cycle through each one until you don't receive an error saying: <i>Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware. ........</i>
11.Once you find the right model (through trial and error) follow the prompts, when ask to reboot, cross your fingers and go.

Let us know how this works or not. Just remember you should have only one Display Adapter in Device Manager unless you also have a pci graphics card.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 04/11/01 11:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Ok good instructions. After thinking about it and looking at my Device Manager, either I don't have the E board, or I disabled the onboard graphics so long ago I forgot about it ;) . Anyway, I tried your instructions, but at the part about trying the list of unexplained Radeon boards in the .inf file, Windows gave that warning message for all of them. I know for a fact I have a Radeon board. So should I just make a guess and hope it works or...?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
If you choose a DDR version it will work for any DDR board even with the warning. Only the SDR, VE and All In Wonder would be different. Good luck.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Now the 3124 drivers (beta, leaked) give better description of what board you are choosing. Download from here that is if you can still boot your computer.
<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/files/drivers/radeonbeta.shtml#3124" target="_new">http://www.rage3d.com/files/drivers/radeonbeta.shtml#3124</A>
These drivers require the manual method of installation.

G

I can in fact boot my computer, the new drivers work fine. Even got that nice little system tray app from ATI finally. Nice to be able to tweak some settings now. Thanks for the link to the betas, I think I'll pass on them for now. Thanks again for your help in getting this working, I'm glad you could do what ATI's "support" couldn't.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Great to hear, do you have a DVD player? If you do I recommend you download MMC7.1 and DVD player 4.1 from ATI. Makes life in Windows 2000 very enjoyable. Enjoy your new setup. Oh yes I do recommend Serious Sam and QuakeIII in W2K for good gaming, lets see, in short any OpenGL game will run great in W2k. D3D games yes and no depending on the game.

G

I do have a DVD player.. I also have one of those Hollywood Plus cards from SigmaDesigns, works really well. Right now I'm enjoying Tribes 2 as far as games go.. the new drivers seem to have helped performance in there. Really nice being able to tweak the FSAA settings and all that now, thanks a lot again!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Your most welcome, try out <A HREF="http://Rage3d.com" target="_new">http://Rage3d.com</A> seems like most Radeon users hang out there and you can find many fixes and tweaks there that work. Highly recommended.