Radeon Graphics card - how good it it

edsa

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I have an HP computer (less than a year old) with an Intel i5 processor and ATI Radeon Graphics.

Can it be used for 3D computer graphics rather than the CPU?
Does CUDA apply to this card?

First, you can't say you have a 'radeon graphics', there is radeon 6990 and 6450, and those are different.

Yes it can, but not CUDA. CUDA is from nvidia. The performance of '3D COMPUTER GRAPHICS' depends on the radeon model.

edsa

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks. Veteran, for your comments.
My computer specs includes Intel i5 processor and "ATI Radeon HD 5450" and 750GB hard disk space.
My 3D software package says rendering a model (in the new engine called CYCLES) is much faster with a GPU rather than CPU.
Options in the package are
1) CPU, 2) OpenCL GPU but sadly the latter does not work on my computer.
What can I do to be able to use the Radeon that I have?

I'd be most grateful for your advice.

The 5450 is a low end graphics, you'd need to upgrade it to buy a better radeon card to boost on your rendering times, otherwise stay with your CPU. But before you buy your new graphics card, I'm assuming you have a low wattage power supply. So it would be appropriate if you upgrade it with the graphics card upgrade. May I ask what budget you have?

edsa

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the helpful info. I had no clue about the Graphics card when I bought the computer last August from Amazon.
Budget is no problem (say up to £300) but who is going to replace the card reliably? It's still on warranty. IS it worth changing to NVIDIA and can it be done?
I look forward to your recommendations.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Readeon (AMD) makes the fastest graphics cards. Its price to preformance ratios are the best. look at the 6770 or higher for best preformance.

CUDA is a marketing ploy, it is used for scientific calculations. AMD has stream technoligy which can do the same thing.

txsouthpaw

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

That's not necessarily true. The brand of GPU purchased should be based upon the OP's budget and targeted use(s) of the card. Some CAD, video editing, and photo editing programs are designed for use with CUDA specifically, making Nvidia the better option while bitcoin mining is much more successful on AMD or ATI cards. Much of this is due to the architectural differences in the brands' offerings. Nvidia cards tend to excel in floating point operations, while AMD cards are usually better for fixed point calculations. Both brands sell comparably priced cards for gaming purposes and the comparisons usually run neck-in-neck depending upon the title. Personally speaking, I am indifferent when it comes to gaming, but for enterprise level 3D rendering and/or most GPGPU tasks, a Quadro works wonders.

edsa

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks both Pemdas and Southpaw>
I'll have to digest this info and make a decision of sorts.
I do appreciate the comments made - I am the wiser for them.

If you are not gaming I'd say it's worth it to go over to Nvidia. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-169-EA&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=

Make sure you have a good Power Supply, High quality brands with at least 48A on the +12v Rail with one 6-pin PCI-E connector and one 8-pin (or 6+2) PCI-E connector.

edsa

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks, Refillable, for returning to me and the link.
I'll keep in mind what you suggest.
I am not into gaming but I have developed some simple games as a by-product of 3D animation.
Much appreciated.