Radeon HD 5770 And 5750 Review: Gentlemen, Start Your HTPCs

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Question: Does the HD 5750 give you the ability to select DTS Connect (Interactive) or Dobly Digital Live for non-HD audio formats. If so I'm ditching my Xonar and buying this card. I have a Pioneer Elite that does HD audio.

conomega

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I just bought a ATI 5750 card and installed Windows 7 64-bit Pro along with PowerDVD9 Ultra and I am unable to bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD audio to my Yamaha v1800 recv which supports decoding both of those formats.

I was under the impression from reading this article that this functionality was supported now, yet it doesn't seem to be working for me. There is suppose to be a drop-down option of "Non-decoded high-definition audio to external device (HDMI 1.3 only):" which isn't available on my menus. Has anyone had any luck with this working yet? I'm also running as far as I know the latest build of PowerDVD 9 Ultra. Perhaps I missed something in my configuration, any help from someone that has this working would be much appreciated!! I'm unable to send anything higher than 48k/16bit out and I've tried several types of movies to include the DTS Master and the Dolby HD stuff.

conomega

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I just bought a ATI 5750 card and installed Windows 7 64-bit Pro along with PowerDVD9 Ultra and I am unable to bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD audio to my Yamaha v1800 recv which supports decoding both of those formats.

I was under the impression from reading this article that this functionality was supported now, yet it doesn't seem to be working for me. There is suppose to be a drop-down option of "Non-decoded high-definition audio to external device (HDMI 1.3 only):" which isn't available on my menus. Has anyone had any luck with this working yet? I'm also running as far as I know the latest build of PowerDVD 9 Ultra. Perhaps I missed something in my configuration, any help from someone that has this working would be much appreciated!! I'm unable to send anything higher than 48k/16bit out and I've tried several types of movies to include the DTS Master and the Dolby HD stuff.

jerm1982

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
i am a little lost looking over the (Radeon HD 5770 And 5750 Review: Gentlemen, Start Your HTPCs) tests on this one show the single ATI 5850 for crysis at 1680x1050 it scored at 57.8fps but in (Radeon HD 5850: Knocking Down GTX 295 In CrossFire) in Crysis at 1680x1080 the 5850 scored 35.4fps was a different computer set up used or something to me that is a big change for the same card thought i would ask

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Chris Angelini[/nom]ATI’s Radeon HD 5850 sports an entirely different design. Up until now, all of the 5000-series cards have featured enclosed shrouds with blower-type coolers that exhaust air from a vent on each card’s I/O bracket.[/citation]
A slight typo, by my guess... Shouldn't it mean that the HD 5750 is what sports the new design? Since as I recall, the 5850 was one of the cards that went along with the "enclosed shrouds."

kjoy064

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
For those that might not know, Cyberlink has release the version for bitstreaming for the ATI 5xxx cards. This is for new purchases until the patch is released this Friday 27th.

G

How do you know that?there isn't any press release...why the manufacturers don't shell the graphic card with at least a demo of this software?the Sapphire comes just with the driver, and the XFX exactly the same...the webpage of cyberlink doesn't says anything about any update...as the webpage of ATI, AMD just say that for passtrough HD audio you need a speceific software...
What I think is that with the power dvd9 everybody could have HD audios...I'va sent an email to the writer of this article to know how did he configure the program to passtrough those audios...

kjoy064

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
because teh cyberlink website was undated today..... also try avs forums under htpc. Because it's not a big press release doesn't mean it's not happening.

G

I will try!, thank you!, since now, the only thing that works was pcm multichannel....now the power dvd is updating...with an update of 107mb, could be this update the one that enables bitstreaming?

ladler

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
My graphic card HD 5770 with HDMI 1.3 does not outputting DTS MASTER OUDIO & DOLBY THRUE HD. I was using Power DVD 9 supporting HDMI 1.3 and nothing; everything was downgraded to 5.1 DTS o 5.1 Dolby Digital. I am using windows Vista 32. The only way I can get 8 channel HD output is using windows setting 7.1 PCM. But on sapphire web sate is very clear stated that this graphic card is supporting Dolby True HD & DTS Master Audio but for some reason I couldn’t get it working. I have installed the new drivers that didn’t help as well. I have checked all setting and spend about two days and no success. Power DVD is set to HDMI output without changing the format of the native sound as it was Dolby Thru HD or DTS Master Audio. I have checked couple of my Blu-Ray’s and all where Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1. Please Help?

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I really can't see any justification, from a gamers perspective, for buying a Radeon 5770 over the 4870. DirectX 11 support is scarce at best, and since this is a technically weaker card, won't all the new DX11 games perform bad on this card anyways? If I were to purchase one of these cards, I'd save the $30-$50CAD and get the 4870 1GB. Being a more expensive card for less performance just seems insane to me, being that I'm strictly a gamer and don't really care for hi-def audio or triple monitors.

I just find it somewhat conflicting that so many people are buying 5770's for "future-proofing" future DX11 games. Just like with DX10, only the upper mid-range to high-end will be able to benefit fully and still maintain good framerates. That's just my opinion though, I'm looking to get a 5850 anyways.

underrated

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Shame the multitude of problems a lot of users are having with these cards isn't mentioned.
Put it this way, if yours works, you're one of the lucky few. Just go to the AMD forums and take a look at tall the common issues everyone has, myself included.
Well, some are lucky, they can get into windows whereas some of us with cards, our PCs don't even POST

G

Take chart image into GIMP or another image editor and flood fill the reviewed card with a different color.

parkergrove

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
[citation][nom]ambientmf[/nom]What's the benefit of DirectX 11 capabilities if the cards are worse performing than last gen cards in DX9/10 games? I'd rather get a 4800 series card, being a gamer myself, for slightly better framerates.I can see the other benefits for the hardcore HTPC crowd though.[/citation]

I would like someone to expain this to me as well, as I don't quite understand the logic behind it.

"As an aside—and this is going to get me crucified in the comments—"........ HA!.. Nice to know I'm not alone......... doesn't matter if you know the FACTS. Somebody will always hate your opinions. Don't you just love fan boy-isms ? ..... or lack of knowledge because people don't have the hardware to try that they are disagreeing with you on.

gzusfr33k

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2003
"And it’s personally telling that I’ve put one card in my desktop workstation to drive a trio of monitors, and one into my HTPC, driving a 55” Samsung LED display." -Chris Angelini

How do i get in contact with you? I'm working with my dad to put together an HTPC from scratch, and we are looking at getting similar setup - 55" samsung LED (8000 or 8500 series), connected to an i7-920 and AMD 5770 video card. Wondering if you have any tips about how you set yours up and how its working for you?

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
I would like to see the cpu scaling test done with a cpu heavy game like bad company 2 with the 5850/5870 and the gtx 470/480. between a q9550, i5 750 and an i7 all running at 2.83 ghz.

i want to know if my 5870 is being held back in bfbc2 by my Q9550 cpu.

i made the choice to get the 5870 and a Q9550...$600 upgrade...avoiding new motehrboard and ram right now.

G

You have a missprint here:
Memory — Corsair Dominator 4GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 7-7-7-20 @ 1,600 MHz

Maybe you should write 6GB?

G

ambientmf 10/13/2009 7:53 AM

Am its for you. I had the experience i wish to share with you. i am not sure if you guys know popular Devil may cry 4 which i ran on my brother pc running dual 8700gt nvidia. As the game support both dx9 and dx10. I ran in dx9 as i thought that the game will be slower in other . i got a fps that is playable say 40fps . I accidently again ran the game in dx10 and did the test it went whooping 75-95 fps. as if doubled in dx10. So dont think of version of directx and rate the card. As dx11 is the latest technology new games are coming with and it will have the advantage over the new games like realistic texture comparable to real world though its not enough. And as of higher the frames the better games is agreeable . All we need is a game to be playable at higher resolution say arround 30 should be fine for a decent gaming even very high computing scene comes would drop a 10fps and still it can come back to 30 .

Status
Not open for further replies.