Radeon HD 7800 keeps crashing in Windows 7

MrDK

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I've diagnosed this problem to concluding that my video card only crashes in Windows 7 64 bit edition. In 32 bit, it ran smoothly without any problems, but in 64 bit, any game I play, there's occasional crashes, including blue screen of death now and again.

My specs:
Intel Core i3 2120 3.30 GHz
AsRock z77 Extreme3
Corsair 4 GB Ram x 2 DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 7800 (2 GB)
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3

Almost sounds like you have RAM problem, because 64 bit version would address both sticks and the 32bit version can only address 1 stick (~3.0-3.5 gb's of RAM). Have you tried 1 stick of RAM with the 64 bit version? Also have you tried stress testing the RAM first, in order to verify both sticks are good (Memtest86)?

MrDK

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I used memtest, and it seems both ram cards are good. I tried them each, both in the slots that they occupy. It seems it has something to do with how it's accessing memory over 4 GB, from what I can see. I'm going to do some test runs with just one of the sticks and see how that works out.

MrDK

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Okay. After some testing with just one ram stick (4 gb), it looks like my games don't crash. It might be the motherboard's compacity to hold up to 8 GB or it may be because 520 is not enough power. Although AsROCk Extreme3 is an overclocking mobo, I never used its features and kept it at stock settings. Which means I need at least 600 watts probably to handle more memory. That's my assumption.

That PSU should have plenty of power for your system. Either you have a faulty Mobo slot (which I would try the other 2 slots for Dual Channel support) or your PSU is having problems supporting your setup (which it shouldn't have any issues "normally").

I would try the other 2 RAM slots before trying anything else.
Then I would try a complete format and fresh install of the OS, just to rule out any other driver/software issue(s).
Lastly I would try another quality PSU (Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, or XFX). I'm not sure if you have a 7850/7870 GPU, but a quality 430w PSU would be fine for the 7850 (only needs 1 x PCI-e power connector) or a 500w PSU w/2 x 6 pin PCI-e power connectors. If you have a buddy that had a PSU you could borrow for testing, would be another option.

MrDK

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Yeah it has dual channel support, which I initially had the sticks put in the right slots for. I already did a fresh install of the OS, so it rules out any driver issues. I do need to test the other two slots to see if that can be something to fix. A quality PSU could also help fix the problems, so there's still that solution. I'll go through each of those solutions and we'll see if I can finally narrow down the problem.

I did notice that when I increase the voltage with two ram sticks, the crashes happen less, but still happen.