Radeon R9 295X2 8 GB Review: Project Hydra Gets Liquid Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
This card is like the Veyron of WV , show the world what you can do (R295x2) but you`ll still relay on the sales of your WV Golf for revenue (270x, 280x)

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
So let me get this straight. It runs pretty cool, quiet, performs well and (for the moment) is able to play a good selection of games at 4k admirably and is priced competitively. Plus if you are going to drop a bit more on watercooling your GPUs (which is a possibility if you're spending $1200+) that gives this card even greater value. Nice work AMD.

Plusthinking Iq

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
this is what i want for all my high end gaming, but i would rather like to see aio water cooling only and a 140mm version that could go silent if needed, full cover water block like the tundra series is some of the best. but single card is the best like a 780ti cooled with a 140mm aio at 500rpm and quiet pump. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
After reading the article my conclusion is: we need a beefier GPU next year for a truly comfortable 4K gaming experience. OMG games this day really take tolls on our rig. Some games only hit around 40-ish and some even down to 30-ish fps on 4K. Imagine next year AAA titles, even this beast will be tamed.

Vesuvius erupts !! ... nice job, Toms.

Conspicuous by their absence are power, temp and noise numbers from the Green Team -- which likely means they got smoked (in a really good way) across the board by dual Hawaii.

JoeArchitect

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
@marciocattini

"Wheres Tom's Hardware seal of approval..."

This is addressed in the conclusion of the article:

"We have an estimated price and an estimated date for availability. The past several launches were peppered by misses on both fronts, and we’ve learned our lesson about recommending gear before you can buy it."

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I like what AMD has done, it's good to know they are making a better effort with high end parts. Hopefully all this goodness trickles down to the next generation 20nm consumer friendly products.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I'm gonna get flamed for this, but AMD still have crossfire issues. A high framerate is cool and all, but micro stutter is still more annoying than a slightly lower fps. I tried Xfire on two r9 290s in BF4, and frankly, you get a less lumpy experience with just one. Granted, Nvidia has their share of SLI issues (like a lack of support for new releases,) but throughout all the years of owning a gtx 460 SLI rig, I'm still convinced Nvidia provides a smoother, more refined overall experience.

great read, very informative. the card itself looks good, which is a major departure from amd's previous ultra high end cards. :p

i didn't quite understand if gpu performance and vram capacity was holding back the nvidia cards or vram size and bus-width both, in 4K gaming benches. imo, this might be worth exlporing in a different article.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
What GPU are the temperature measurements coming from? Given they are connected in series, I would expect one to be hotter than the other.

Edit: After some additional research on the web, it looks like there is only a 2 degree difference between the two GPUs under load - somewhat surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.