[SOLVED] Radeon R9 380 issue

rgabor

Prominent
Oct 23, 2021
Hi!
I bought a Sapphire R9 380 ITX Compact 2GB graphics card recently. It works fine in another computer but not mine. The problem is very strange. Sometimes the computer posts with the GPU inserted but there is no signal. In other cases it doesn't even post. I got a display out if it once or twice. I even played on it. But as soon as I restart my computer it doesn't work again. I tried it in my brother's computer and it works all the time even after several restarts. I had an RX 590 before this GPU and there were no issues with it. Computer works fine with integrated graphics.

Things I've tried:
-Reseating GPU multiple times
-Clearing CMOS
-Reseating RAM sticks
-Uninstalling previous drivers
-Using other PCIE slot
-Cleaning motherboard PCIE slots
-Disabling iGPU in BIOS
-Trying another monitor

My build:
-Asrock B85M Pro4 motherboard
-2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
-Intel core i5 4460 CPU
-FSP Raider 550W 80+ Silver rated PSU
-240 GB Adata SSD + 1TB Toshiba HDD

Solution
Your PSU is in tier D in the PSU hierarchy which makes it good for office PCs with no discrete GPU. It's in fact 504w in the 12v rail and that's under ideal conditions when it was new.
If it's as old as the rest of your system specs it has degraded enough to need replacement asap.

You have already pushed it out of it's specs with the 590 and that has certainly made things worse. It's a matter of time to not work even with the integrated graphics.
Your PSU is in tier D in the PSU hierarchy which makes it good for office PCs with no discrete GPU. It's in fact 504w in the 12v rail and that's under ideal conditions when it was new.
If it's as old as the rest of your system specs it has degraded enough to need replacement asap.

You have already pushed it out of it's specs with the 590 and that has certainly made things worse. It's a matter of time to not work even with the integrated graphics.

Solution

rgabor

Prominent
Oct 23, 2021

I forgot to mention that I tried my brother's RX 570 in my system and it worked fine. I know the PSU is getting old and weaker but it can still power up a discrete GPU. So I think the problem is elsewhere.

rgabor

Prominent
Oct 23, 2021
RX 570 has as recommended a 500W PSU while a R9 380 has a 550W PSU.

Did you try the GPU in your brother's system? How are you sure the 380 works?
Yes I tried it in the other PC and it worked fine. I tried multiple games. The other PC has a 500W Cooler Master PSU. The R9 380 100% works.

rgabor

Prominent
Oct 23, 2021
Graphics card started working randomly in my PC 😀. I still don't know what was the problem with it. No issues since than. I'm gonna grab a new PSU but it works fine with the current one as well.