Jul 30, 2021
Hi this is my first time posting for an issue so let me know if anythings wrong or missing here.

mobo: MSI B550 A-Pro
cpu: Ryzen 7 3700x
gpu: MSI MECH OC RX 5700 XT
ram: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2x8gb
psu: Montech GAMMA II 750W
drivers up to date, stock settings

Recently some games have been shutting my computer down entirely with no error message or signs of an issue on startup. I'm certain the CPU is a non issue, but not sure if it's maybe my card or PSU. Forza Horizon 4 shuts down almost immediately upon exiting the first cutscene and sometimes in benchmark mode. Control and Mass Effect Andromeda shut down after 5-10 minutes of gameplay. Final Fantasy 14 has shut down at random. However Cyberpunk 2077, Crysis remastered, The Medium, Death Stranding, are some resource intensive games that have never crashed my pc despite visibly stressing the gpu. I logged a hard crash after just 2 minutes and 40 seconds of playing Control using HWiNFO64 but looking at it with Generic Log Viewer doesn't make things much clearer to me. Gpu temp 74C, memory junction temp 78C at time of crash. In case anyone wants to take a look here is the log. ControlCrash.csv Any help appreciated.

Jul 30, 2021
Your PSU (questionable quality) is likely the culprit. I suspect it is failing when placed under load (like when gaming).
thanks for feedback. what about it indicates questionable quality? the reviews and info I've seen seemed promising enough. This is my first ever pc build and I didn't think i was skimping on the psu.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
See here:

Solution
Jul 30, 2021
See here:

That's a great resource, thanks! However after some time looking into this I don't think the PSU is the issue. It seems like this is a known issue with this model of card and maybe something to do with drivers on AMD's side as certain games work fine indefinitely and pull more power than these other games that crash in a few minutes or less. I've already read a few accounts of this same problem with this card not having been solved by a PSU replacement. I DDU'ed the display drivers in safe mode and installed the newest recommended, didn't touch anything (I thought this might work since I had read enabling Virtual Super Resolution can be the problem and you can't simply disable it; have to DDU.) Started up Forza 4 and about 5 seconds after it transitions from opening cutscene to gpu rendered game it shut my computer off. I've even tried auto undervolting and dropping the clock speed by 100mhz just to ensure stability on the PSU's end and got the same result with both Forza and Control. Furmark, Superposition, Heaven, Timespy show no artifacting or instability & my system has never shut down from a benchmark or stress test. Metrics don't indicate high or unstable power draw at time of crash in my opinion but I'm no expert at this either. The Forza crash log in case it's of any use.

TRENDING THREADS