Radeon RX 580 8gb vs GTX 1070 8gb

Jul 13, 2018
I am building a gaming pc right now, and I have 2 choices for the graphics card:
XFX GTS Black Edition RX 580 8GB - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD2C5MM4711&cm_re=XFX_Radeon_RX_580-_-1DW-000W-00026-_-Product

And
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127948

They both have approximately same memory clocks 8000 Mhz but the 1070 has 1531 Mhz core clock and 1700 boost core clock while the Rx 580 has only 1420 Mhz. The price difference is 100, and i am not sure if it is worth it. Also, in the future i am planning to install liquid cooling on the 1070 if I will get it. I need your advice!

Solution
Comparing specs on Graphics Cards doesn't really mean much. The 1070 is a significantly faster card. The 580 competes with the much cheaper GTX 1060.

If you can afford the 1070, it's for sure the superior card.

RE Water cooling, if you enjoy the modding process feel free to tinker, but you need to be aware that water cooling a graphics card costs quite a bit and rarely nets you more than 10% performance. If you already have the fastest GPU money can buy (the 1080ti at the moment), then those looking for extreme performance can justify the expense for the small performance bump. Everyone else, however, is better off just straight up buying a better graphics card.

Of course, if you enjoy the modding then maybe it's worth it for you...
Comparing specs on Graphics Cards doesn't really mean much. The 1070 is a significantly faster card. The 580 competes with the much cheaper GTX 1060.

If you can afford the 1070, it's for sure the superior card.

RE Water cooling, if you enjoy the modding process feel free to tinker, but you need to be aware that water cooling a graphics card costs quite a bit and rarely nets you more than 10% performance. If you already have the fastest GPU money can buy (the 1080ti at the moment), then those looking for extreme performance can justify the expense for the small performance bump. Everyone else, however, is better off just straight up buying a better graphics card.

Of course, if you enjoy the modding then maybe it's worth it for you, but it's never a cost-effective upgrade.

Solution