[SOLVED] Radeon RX 580 Driver Question

LeslieinNH

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Hi!

I see a million posts about similar issues, but none seem to make a concrete call as to cause of this problem.

New build, Ryzen 5 3600 on MSI b450 tomahawk max mobo, 16 GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon RX580 8GB Nitro+, SSD. No OC.

Pulled SSD from another system and didn't reload Windows 10 (Home). Worked fine for a few days. Was messing with graphics settings due to a game having other resolution options, and blew it up (black screen). Would boot, could see video perfectly in BIOS (with good resolution), would get to Windows load (usually) and then black screen. Tried recovery options, safe mode, etc - no dice. Tried reloading Windows, as soon as Windows looked for an updated video driver and started installing, it would black screen. Reloaded Win AGAIN, disconnected from network, seemed stable on Win-default driver. Tried installing AMD Adrenalin driver - black screen during install. Tried a few other things that I've forgotten in the midst of all that, too.

Finally decided to reclone SSD from original system, worked great. Connected to network, it installed a generic "Radeon RX580" driver as seen in Device Manager, and brought up resolution to reasonable number. Seems nice and stable.

SO now the tough question. Do I leave it as is, avoiding the AMD drivers, or so I install Adrenalin 2020? The "Radeon Settings" notifications are telling me to install the latest SW, but I really want this to remain stable...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Solution
Pulled SSD from another system and didn't reload Windows 10 (Home). Worked fine for a few days.
Pulling from another system's install is usually a recipe for disaster - you're lucky anything worked right at all.

It's not a particularly good idea to use an outdated driver, in general.

1 - Download the latest version of DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
2 - Download the latest Radeon Adrenalin WHQL driver from AMD.com
3 - Reboot to Safe Mode
4 - Run DDU to completely remove the existing driver. Choose "Clean and reboot" since your card is already physically installed.
5 - After reboot, install the Radeon Adrenalin driver you downloaded in step 2.

LeslieinNH

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
FWIW, the clone actually has AMD Adrenalin 19.20 running on it... and it seems perfectly solid so far...

Driver Packaging Version
19.20-190816a-346830C

In case that helps someone else!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Pulled SSD from another system and didn't reload Windows 10 (Home). Worked fine for a few days.
Pulling from another system's install is usually a recipe for disaster - you're lucky anything worked right at all.

It's not a particularly good idea to use an outdated driver, in general.

1 - Download the latest version of DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
2 - Download the latest Radeon Adrenalin WHQL driver from AMD.com
3 - Reboot to Safe Mode
4 - Run DDU to completely remove the existing driver. Choose "Clean and reboot" since your card is already physically installed.
5 - After reboot, install the Radeon Adrenalin driver you downloaded in step 2.

Solution

LeslieinNH

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
True and agreed! Not my usual strategy (swapping disk to new hardware like that) - I did it to see what would work (out of curiosity) and it actually worked flawlessly! I was VERY surprised!

I have not tried doing so, but I've ready many, MANY threads of folks that have, only to have the same black screen problem. They also reported going back to a 19.x version of Adrenalin resolved their issues... which I'm already on. I'm still researching, but it seems like an awfully common problem with a multitude of solutions that seem to work for different folks (and not a single, common solution).

Since this is now my main PC, I wasn't too inclined to be down for another few days... so I was leaning on others' experiences :)

Thank you for replying!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Huh . . I'd thought the black screen problem with the newer drivers was exclusive to the Navi based cards, and was generally fixed in the latest Adrenalin WHQL drivers (March 5, I believe?). I wasn't aware of it affecting the Polaris cards.