Radeon RX 590 Review: AMD’s First 12nm GPU Hits 225W

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 6, 2018
Nvidia is slaying AMD, on drivers alone. I have a PNY GTX 1060 6GB XLR8, and Nvidia just threw a driver today. It blew up the spot! I actually saw a marked improvement on the visual. Nice try 590, you'll be playing catch up, for awhile.

Aug 6, 2018
Nvidia is slaying AMD, on drivers alone. I have a PNY GTX 1060 6GB XLR8, and Nvidia just threw a driver today. It blew up the spot! I actually saw a marked improvement on the visual. Nice try 590, you'll be playing catch up, for awhile.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
People keep talking about "X is way better on drivers than Y"....

Mostly it's bullshit - both have been good in recent years. Complaints about issues tend to be more anecdotal than anything.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

What? Updating your driver might improve performance, but it's not going to change the visuals.

When was the last time you updated an AMD driver? Been a while? Such a claim AFTER updating an RX driver... and making a fair, non-fanboy, comparison, is more likely to be accepted by everyone else.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I didn't wanna be the first one to say "fanboy".... but it's what I was thinking...

Aug 6, 2018

Just being real. AMD will always "wanna be"

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
@KING_V The power draw ceases to be relevant if you factor in the WAY more expensive G-sync monitors over the much cheaper counterparts! Given the average upgrade cycle of about 3 years for video cards.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Older games, especially when popular, are still worth testing. Not everyone plays only the latest and greatest games, and, in theory, sometimes optimizations for modern games might cause older ones to be neglected. Witness, for example, the general tendency for Nvidia cards to have an advantage with DX11 games vs AMD tending to be stronger for DX12. A mix of older and newer games makes sense when benchmarking.

As to FreeSync/GSync, generally I agree - particularly given that my son's monitor is a FreeSync.

Getting a new PSU though, while less than the cost of GSync, is still a notable factor. Likewise, noise for cooling is a factor.

Ultimately, as I am actually hoping Navi lives up to the expectations, or somewhere within the ballpark, I went with an RX 580 for my son's computer. Performs better than what he already had, while drawing about the same power, being a little quieter, and with FreeSync + LFC, plays pretty smoothly during my quick test run.

The PC release of GTA V came out in 2015, and features enhanced graphics compared to the original console versions. Rockstar continues to release new content updates for the game's online component, and according to Steam's stats, GTA V is currently the fourth most played game on the platform at the moment. So I would say that it's a pretty relevant game to benchmark.