Question Radeon RX 6650 XT not working properly (Youtube stuttering and Office refresh issues) ?

rasmasyean

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Hi,

I bought this:

MSI Mech Radeon RX 6650 XT Video Card RX 6650 XT MECH 2X 8G OC - Newegg.com

It has an issue where on Microsoft Edge (but not Chrome), Youtube videos studder and become boxy.
Also, in MS Office applications, there is a frequent refresh issue where a boxed area in an application will go blank.

I bought one in November and then recently replaced it. Post installation, the replacement seemed to have worked, but then there was some stuttering on Youtube accompanied by the bug report popup shortly afterward.
Then I updated Adrenaline (23.2.1) and it caused the Office refresh issue to appear. So it got even worse!

Has anyone experienced something similar?

I suppose it's at least partly due to the most recent driver versions as I can't imagine both cards "degrade" after such short usage. Though I can't remember exactly when the first card behaved badly and what version was installed in November.

Any ideas? Thanks!

rasmasyean

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Update:

I've been using it for a while after that Adrenaline update I mentioned and I think it stopped the Youtube stuttering but the MS Office app "rectangle area refresh bug" still persists...although not as much as it did with my old card. Not sure if it's being worked on or there's something else running that would trigger this...more.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Sorry to hear of your issues. I love AMD and have built a lot of their desktop CPUs, but the drivers on the video side make it a no go for me . Too many issues and hassle I have had personally from the RX460 to the 6700XT.

nivida cards and drivers have treated me good

Reactions: Tac 25
D

Deleted member 14196

Use DDU to remove all graphics drivers, then power off plug in your AMD card and boot up and let windows find a driver for it. And then install the driver from AMD but just install the driver only it’s optional in the set up so you don’t get all that junk where

and I’ve never had any problems with AMD drivers whatsoever. That’s just nonsense.

Reactions: Tac 25

rasmasyean

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I reinstalled the OS...again. Downloaded "amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.3.2-minimalsetup-230322_web.exe". Same MS Office issues.

I installed the Radeon RX 6650 XT in a different computer with totally different hardware (Windows 11 / Office 365 as well if that matters) and get the same Office issues.

Unless I happen to get a bad GPU from the same batch like 2 months apart, it's gotta be the drivers.

***Also: Upon installing the new video card into the 2nd computer, the taskbar items were like flashing and adjusting left/center alignment occasionally until I installed the AMD software. I'm suspecting it was just "display shifting" and not really icon placement but I didn't test it. I had priorly uninstalled all the nVidia software that I was aware of, but did not wipe it with DDU or anything like that. Never seen anything like this before. Just a note.

Last edited:

rasmasyean

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
AHHA! New develpment!

In the second computer I tried this card on...
When playing video, the sound through HDMI cuts out for a couple of seconds periodically. So maybe the video card(s) must be part of a bad batch.

I use this computer as a "Media Center". So I just connect the HDMI port to a receiver so that's why I discovered this. When playing a movie in Disney, Netflix, etc. it goes silent for a couple of seconds and then returns to normal. I can even here the reciever relays click on/off when it changes modes for movies that have a surround sound feed.

Reinstalling the old nVidia card solves both video and application refresh issues, and who knows what else. If anyone got this card arround the Black Friday 2022 period, be sure to check this in case you might have one of the bad cards. Who knows what else problems may arrise in the future.