RAGE Modding Limitations Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
With very few exceptions, those mods have improved games over and over again, kudos to the talented modders. one good example: UT (2k3 and 2004). The mods have revived the game to the point where it looked an entire different game altogether.
Not to mention Q3A mods... awesome.

Oh man, I really hope they give modders a lil' more tools to work with. There's talented people all around the globe, so the more tools, the more talent you will catch. Obvious things aside, Kudos to Mr. Carmack and his approach.

Cheers!

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
looks like a difficult decision for id, because modders do add to the replayability and value of a game engine, and in the end, more money to the company.
hopefully, this will mean more "awesomeness" to the game.

but then again, not to worry, there are dedicated modders that can add a LOT of things to difficult engines. there are geniuses out there that can read and understand Assembly!!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i get so sick of company's acting like thier game has some special magic soup behind it, seriously the tools obviously exsist for making the game so why should modding really be aproblem. granted ID hasnt been the worse company about mods , but ask me what they are doing is worse than just shutting down all modding on the game , because bassically they are throwing their modding acommunity a pissed on bone , and trying to act like it is a t-bone. sorry ID i'll stick with UDK

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
You can always tell what platform is preferred. Look at this article, "RAGE is slated to hit the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3 and Windows PC on September 13, 2011."

The PC should always be listed first, not the kiddie consoles.

[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]You can always tell what platform is preferred. Look at this article, "RAGE is slated to hit the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3 and Windows PC on September 13, 2011."The PC should always be listed first, not the kiddie consoles.[/citation]

maybe its a "women and children first" approach to writing, or, nothing at all? ;-)

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i get so sick of company's acting like thier game has some special magic soup behind it, seriously the tools obviously exsist for making the game so why should modding really be aproblem. granted ID hasnt been the worse company about mods , but ask me what they are doing is worse than just shutting down all modding on the game , because bassically they are throwing their modding acommunity a pissed on bone , and trying to act like it is a t-bone. sorry ID i'll stick with UDK[/citation]

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and haven't done any research. The problem with modding id Tech 5, as said, lies within the megatexture system which, if I remember correctly, ends up with texture files that can be 20 GB+ in size. For creating and baking these textures id has to use render farms which aren't available to the average user, which is why he said making levels from scratch could present issues.

They're giving modding tools, but being realistic by telling hopeful modders that there WILL be limitations to it due to capabilities of the resources of the modders.

Status
Not open for further replies.