RAID 0 in Vista64

keith97

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I want to set up a raid0 after I get another raptor but have never set one up before. Is it still necessary to use a floppy to load the drivers with Vista 64 or are the drivers already a part of vista?

nick_000000

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Only if you are using a Raid add in card if you are using the motherboard onboard raid facility then it should work fine without any additional drivers.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
The dude above that said if you're using onboard RAID and not a RAID card is full of it. I have done two RAID 0's both with Vista 64 recently. Each board was using an Nvidia Nforce4 Ultra chipset and i have to load drivers. So I would say it really depends on whether or not there is an included driver for the particular RAID controller you are using.

It is correct that you don't have to use a floppy drive anymore. You can load them anyway you like (cd/dvd,floppy,flash drive....). You can even install other drivers at the beginning such as chipset and audio/video drivers. Just make sure that if you have a board/bios that allows you to switch off the ACPI function in the BIOS that your turn it on or else you will get dismal performance and it isn't something that is easily changed back once the OS is installed.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
If when you are ready to install Vista64 to your RAID0 drive the windows installer does not 'see' your RAID0 disk then you will need to install the associated RAID drivers for your SATA controller or board chipset

rockchalk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Kona's got a good point. Raid controllers require special drivers. The real issue is whether or not the drivers for your RAID controller were included with Vista. I'm not sure about other solutions, but from my experience, I do know that the Intel raid drivers are on the Vista CD.

Latest posts