[SOLVED] RAID 0: Safe to power up after loosing track of HDD's Original Position?

Jan 23, 2019
Hello everyone. Two days ago my power supply exploded misteriously. In panic, thinking everything was burned, I got the two 2TB HDDs that acted as extra-storage from the case and placed them into a docking station to get the Files I was working on. The system SSD remained where it was. Off course the disks were recognized, but no partition is available on another system. I didn't know how a RAID setup worked, and when I researched it, I noticed, that I didn't take note of where each disk was plugged in. Now they're shuffled. I got a new power supply, plugged everything anew, and brought the computer to life again. Windows is there, everything looks normal, but all the posts I've read about RAID 0 troubleshooting make me tremble in fear when I think of plugging the HDDs where all my DATA is stored. The RAID is likely configured in the Motherboard and RAID 0. Cannot say for sure, because I bought it second hand, but it's a video workstation, optimized for speed. Motherboard is a https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/HelpDesk/.

Is this a russian-roulette case? I just go and plug the Disks in any slot and pray? Or is there a better, more tactical approach to this? Thanks for any Hints!

Solution
With motherboard raid you don't worry much about which sata ports they are plugged into as long as its the chipset sata ports (some motherbds have addition sata controllers). Motherboard raid writes the configuration data to the drives and will read it when booting up and re-assemble the array just fine as long as the drives are still in good health. .

popatim

Titan
With motherboard raid you don't worry much about which sata ports they are plugged into as long as its the chipset sata ports (some motherbds have addition sata controllers). Motherboard raid writes the configuration data to the drives and will read it when booting up and re-assemble the array just fine as long as the drives are still in good health. .

Solution