RAID 0 swap

Jul 8, 2018
Hi,

I know this topic had been discussed before, but I'm hoping maybe things have changed. Please don't flame me

My 8 year old amd gigabyte mother board and/or phenom CPU bit the dust. I had two gigantic RAID 0 set up on the AMD onboard raid controller. One for 2tb and the other for 4tb. The 4tb contains crucial information that has been gathered over these years. Due to my current financial situation I was unable to afford a huge backup drive.

My question is, what happens if I pop them into a modern AMD motherboard like gigabyte or ASRock? Are there any chances of making the raid work again?

USAFRet

Titan
"crucial information" + RAID 0 + "unable to afford a huge backup drive" is the very definition of courting disaster.

This is motherboard based RAID 0?
That won't work on a new motherboard.

One of these is the OS drive? That really won't work on new hardware.

Jul 8, 2018

USAFRet

Titan

Seeing as your old system is dead, you have 2 options.

Try it, and watch it fail.
or
Don't try it and accept the loss of your data.

There is no magic bullet, and the RAID 0 concept has not really changed.
Loss of either drive, or the RAID controller, means all data is gone.

Jul 8, 2018

USAFRet

Titan

Not necessarily. About the only possibility is within the same brand.
All you can do is try.

Please report back with results.

Jul 8, 2018

bignastyid

Titan

Unlikely.

Since the old system is dead it's likely going to cost you to retrieve data. You'll need to buy a program like raid reconstructor($99 but you can user the free trial version to see if it will be able to recover the data before you buy it) then a large enough drive to copy the data that it can recover to. Sometimes cheap performance can end up costing you in the end.

Jul 8, 2018

Jul 8, 2018
Is the reconstructor program guaranteed to work? Also, ive heard of people getting the data off the raid with Ubuntu, but I'm not sure if it applies in this case. I think Ubuntu deals with software raid. This is onboard

bignastyid

Titan

There is no guarantee in data recovery. They do however let you use the free trial to see what it can recover before you buy the program.