Raid 0 two HDD for Steam Library

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
I currently have a 2tb HDD for my Steam Library but it's filling up and I only have about 400gb left. Would it be a good idea to buy a second 2tb drive and RAID 0 them so I get double the storage? I was thinking of doing JBOD but RAID 0 helps in sequential reads and I think games are usually sequential. I get that if one drive fails, I'm screwed but then again, I can always download my games again. I have Windows and my programs on an SSD and my files on a separate HDD so all the important stuff is fine.

Solution
I build RAID based servers at work....as a general rule, the OS drive is NEVER part of a RAID array - just a solo drive. I always purchase a good RAID controller - there is a reason a controller is $500 - $5,000 for most servers, and a $100-$200 mobo doesn't have the same capabilities.... I generally use RAID5 or RAID10 (depending upon what it is being used for), and it is generally 10-20 drives (SAS 15k drives, 160GB or 320GB) with 4-8 extra drives for WHEN a drive fails.

On average, I lose 1-2 drives a year, and the RAID array I build is setup to last 4-5 years before I replace it.

Lastly, I always have a backup that runs nightly on any RAID array.....for the last 10+ years - total down time is measured in hours (generally 1-2...

anti-duck

Honorable
I'm a bit of a RAID 0 fanboy lol, I've been using that setup for years now and in my opinion this RAID 0 failure warning you always hear about is over exaggerated, it's a tiny failure rate. I use my array for the same purpose as you want to achieve, works out perfectly :)

LordConrad

Distinguished
I have to disagree with "anti-duck" about RAID 0 reliability, I think he's been lucky so far.

That being said, you're right about Steam and re-downloading. As long as your saved games are backed up, I think RAID 0 would work for great for you.

I build RAID based servers at work....as a general rule, the OS drive is NEVER part of a RAID array - just a solo drive. I always purchase a good RAID controller - there is a reason a controller is $500 - $5,000 for most servers, and a $100-$200 mobo doesn't have the same capabilities.... I generally use RAID5 or RAID10 (depending upon what it is being used for), and it is generally 10-20 drives (SAS 15k drives, 160GB or 320GB) with 4-8 extra drives for WHEN a drive fails.

On average, I lose 1-2 drives a year, and the RAID array I build is setup to last 4-5 years before I replace it.

Lastly, I always have a backup that runs nightly on any RAID array.....for the last 10+ years - total down time is measured in hours (generally 1-2 hours at a time for rebuilding a drive) - because of the setup.

Solution