[SOLVED] Raid 1 corrupted after power failure

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 4, 2022
Hello all, this is my first time posting on the Tom's Hardware forums seeing as I am having trouble getting my mirror raid setup in an old Windows 7 computer back up and running.

After having turned on this PC for the first time in nearly a decade (I changed the power supply and other failed/dubious components), it was telling me to rebuild my Raid drives in software at boot. It's an Asus P5K motherboard with the onboard JMB363 Raid controller and I had started the rebuild through the chip's software after booting into the OS but then the power went out.

Attempting to boot only leads to windows giving me a file system corruption error, pointing to files in system 32 and recommending I use my Windows 7 disc to run media recovery. I then rebuilt the drives through the BIOS with no luck, tried booting off each drive individually with no luck, then after solving the mirror conflict caused by replugging both and attempting to rebuild it told me ''Raid rebuild failed, reboot and try again'' at 97% completion. Currently trying to rebuild again before attempting to do windows recovery.

Here are my concerns:
1. How would this work in a Raid 1 situation?
Would Windows recovery identify both disks as separate or as one Raid whole like it should?
Would it fix the system files on both disks? Or only one?
What are the chances it makes things even worse?
2. Did I mess anything up so far?
Did my initial rebuild put the corrupt system files on both disks, or would they have been corrupt anyways?
3. If I'm not able to recover the operating system, how would I get my files off the drives?
This was the whole point of me messing with this old computer again seeing as plugging the drives into my current PC won't read them since they're configured for Raid mirroring.
4. How would windows recovery work on a Raid 0?
Since everything would be striped, how would windows know what to fix?

Thanks in advance for the help and replies, please let me know if there is any information I left out.

Solution
The problem is that your USB enclosure is configured with a sector size of 4096 bytes. This makes the drive look 8 times larger than it is.

You need a 512 byte enclosure. You can still use the 4KB enclosure to recover your data, though.

To recover your data to another drive, navigate to your desired folder, r-click it and select Recover ...

The free version of DMDE will recover up to 4000 files from any one folder per run.
Jul 4, 2022
Was able to plug the drive in to my main PC today after opening it up, all the files read perfectly and I copied everything I needed! 😁
After that I put it back in to the old PC and tried seeing if windows recovery would even detect the OS, which it didn’t, probably since I had the bios set to RAID and not IDE mode.
Should I just wipe the drive and reinstall windows now, or is there a way to run an sfc scannow if the drive isn’t being booted from?
Either way it doesn’t really matter, I got all my files and as long as I don’t physically damage the drive I don’t really care what happens to it.
Was able to plug the drive in to my main PC today after opening it up, all the files read perfectly and I copied everything I needed! 😁
After that I put it back in to the old PC and tried seeing if windows recovery would even detect the OS, which it didn’t, probably since I had the bios set to RAID and not IDE mode.
Should I just wipe the drive and reinstall windows now, or is there a way to run an sfc scannow if the drive isn’t being booted from?
Either way it doesn’t really matter, I got all my files and as long as I don’t physically damage the drive I don’t really care what happens to it.
Plugged the disk in to a normal SATA port and not the one with the RAID controller, Windows recovery detected it and everything works now 👍
I’d like to thank all of you who helped me along the way!
Here’s some pics:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/892828517383942215/994045918515048490/IMG_9388.jpg