RAID 1 (Mirror) Not recognised in W10 DIsk Management

Alpaxj1

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hello,

I have an issue recognising RAID 1 (mirrored) in Windows 10...When I look into Disk Management, I cannot see the drive.

I have 2 x 2TB WD Blue SSD's that I have configured in the UEFI bios (not Legacy or to be RAID 1 mirror, so it is recognised by the mobo.

I have an Asus Maximus X Hero Mobo...(may help with diagnosing issue)

CSM is Disabled
"Intel RST Premium with Optane Memory" is the raid option selected.
Agressive LPM Support --> Disabled

This motherboard doesnt have the EZ Raid Tool option in bios. I installed Windows 10 on a 970pro first before RAID-ing the other 2 SSDs.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated

Colif

Win 11 Master
Note: Due to a chipset limitation, when SATA ports are set to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode together

that is from your manual.

Also, in manual, did you go to Advanced menu>Intel Rapid Storage Technology to get into the Intel Rapid Storage Technology enu and set up a RAID set as per page 4-3 of your manual - Link

That note above makes me wonder how windows is booting and if its got access to all drives since they all set as RAID now

Alpaxj1

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
hi, thanks for responding, yes I have opened rapid storage technology as mentioned and the ssds are set up for raid.

I have a feeling I'm missing some sort of controlller or driver on windows 10 64bit...or..could be a bios setting that I should have enabled.

windows is installed on the 970 pro m.2 ssd, not via Sata.

You wrote," This motherboard doesnt have the EZ Raid Tool option in bios".

The motherboard manual states you need to press F11 to enter the EZ Tuning Wizard screen. Click RAID to choose RAID type.
(See 3-10 of manual - Creating RAID)

Alternatively, Section 4.1.3 of manual shows how to create RAID with the IRST in UEFI BIOS

You can create a RAID Volume there. You may need to reread the instructions on creating a volume.

The previous poster questions how the OS works.
970pro does not use IRST as it is a single NVMe storage device and use its firmware and a NVMe driver.
Single drive disks are allowed in RAID and are merely listed as Non-RAID disks.

Alpaxj1

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
hi, thank you for your answers, both pointed me in the right direction. After more digging, it seems I only needed the intel raid data controller utility you mentioned about. it seemed to install the relevant drivers and then I was able to see the 2tb drive under disk management. I then formatted it and it was all good!!

thank you!!