[SOLVED] Raid 1 on Windows 10 with non-functional Intel RST app

DavidSchwegler

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
Hi,

I built this machine in Windows 7, and upgraded to Win 10 a few years ago. I had setup SSDs and HDDs in Raid 1. I think I used the Intel RST app to set it up (or at least monitor it...maybe I set it up in the bios directly?). However, at some point RST updated to a version that didn't work on my PC. It always shows "Intel RST service is not running" in the taskbar, and I'm unable to open the application. When I attempt to launch it, it does a UAC prompt for IAStorUI.exe, but then nothing happens. Intel says there's a new version of the app available (Latest Version: 14.8.16.1063, Installed Version: 14.8.0.1042), but attempting to install it gives an error that my platform isn't supported.

Qff0YHU.png

I've seen a lot of threads about this, but none that I've found that really match my situation.

My questions
  1. What (if anything) should I do about this? I feel uncomfortable not knowing the status of the disks. Is Intel RST still one of the best options for Raid and disk health management or should I consider something else I should use? I'm sort of a set-it-and-forget-it guy, so I don't need anything fancy.
  2. It sounds like maybe it's time to upgrade my motherboard and/or cpu for compatibility? Is there anything I should do/expect when upgrading motherboard to make sure I don't break the raid status or potentially introduce errors? (Meaning, literally anything after pulling them out of one board and sticking them in the new one...).
Many thanks!

Build
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
CPU: Intel i7-3770-K
RAM: 16GB (4x G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1866 PC3 14900)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
Disks:
  • (2x SSD in Raid 1): SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
  • (2x HDD in Raid 1): WD5003ABYX 500GB
  • (1x SSD): Crucial RealSSD 256 GB

Last edited:
Solution
Yes. Since it isn't currently working, you have nothing to lose.
Hopefully the old version works with the new w10 version.

Uh. Uh oh. Well apparently I had a lot to lose. I really need help now!

Here's what happened
  1. I uninstalled the old RST app (it wouldn't let me uninstall the drivers). Rebooted. Installed the new app. Rebooted.
  2. At boot Windows sat in a spinner for about an hour. I assumed something got stuck, so I power cycled
  3. At reboot it hit me with an automatic fixing your disk repair thing (I forget the exact screens sorry) and then got stuck in a loop of "preparing automatic repair" -> "diagnosing your PC" -> "couldn't repair your PC".
  4. I have tried entering safe mode but I can't -- selecting that...

DavidSchwegler

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
Yes. Since it isn't currently working, you have nothing to lose.
Hopefully the old version works with the new w10 version.

Uh. Uh oh. Well apparently I had a lot to lose. I really need help now!

Here's what happened
  1. I uninstalled the old RST app (it wouldn't let me uninstall the drivers). Rebooted. Installed the new app. Rebooted.
  2. At boot Windows sat in a spinner for about an hour. I assumed something got stuck, so I power cycled
  3. At reboot it hit me with an automatic fixing your disk repair thing (I forget the exact screens sorry) and then got stuck in a loop of "preparing automatic repair" -> "diagnosing your PC" -> "couldn't repair your PC".
  4. I have tried entering safe mode but I can't -- selecting that option triggers the same loop.
  5. It says there's not any system restore points found to restore to
  6. I booted into another drive (that has win 7 on it) and it says the drive hosting win 10 "is not accessible...Access denied".
    Pm2iJXA.png
  7. I tried booting into win 10 again, and now my win 10 drive goes straight to recovery saying "your PC/device needs to be repaired...operating system could not be loaded because a file is missing or contains errors...file \windows\system32\winload.exe errorcode 0xc0000225....you'll need to use recovery tools".
  8. I rebooted back to win 7 and at boot it tried to do a consistency check on some drive named just with a guid and started deleting files like crazy so I immediately power cycled to stop it since I had no idea what it was doing
Should I try booting the Win 10 install from USB media? Should I pull one of the raid drives out before trying things? I'm not really a raid expert so I don't know what state my drives are in. That is, I don't know if trying to run that particular version of IRST broke the raid configuration or "just" broke the windows 10 install.

TLDR: I can no longer boot to my Win 10 install RAID drives (the two 500gb SSDs). From my Win 7 drive (the 256gb non-raid SSD), I can't access the Win 10 drives either, though I can still access my storage RAID drives (the two 500gb HDDs).

Last edited:
Solution