bubbaray_00

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
All,
I have built a new i5-2500k Windows 7 box and have had great success, except with my storage solution. I just recently purchased 4 Samsung F4 2tb Drives for a Raid 10 Setup. I have configured this Raid config without any issues on my motherboard (Asus P8P67-Pro), however I cant get a volume created in Windows 7. Intel Storage manager recognizes the Array, but Drive Manager has it split up into 2 blocks that I can't do anything with. Any ideas?

Solution
Take this with a grain of salt. I have no direct experience.

It's a 4 TB storage pool, and the common MBR partition schema cannot handle above 2.2 TiB. So it's being split into two conforming volumes. There is a new partition schema that allows much larger volumes, called GPT. In the Storage Manager (if that is the correct place), try to re-initialize the storage space as a single GPT volume.

If this works, let me know. I'll have learned something!

If you are going to boot off of this, you face some tight restrictions. Let us know if this is the case. There are only a few motherboards that can boot from GPT volumes. They are those that implement UEFI instead of BIOS. Tom's reviewed two recently...
Take this with a grain of salt. I have no direct experience.

It's a 4 TB storage pool, and the common MBR partition schema cannot handle above 2.2 TiB. So it's being split into two conforming volumes. There is a new partition schema that allows much larger volumes, called GPT. In the Storage Manager (if that is the correct place), try to re-initialize the storage space as a single GPT volume.

If this works, let me know. I'll have learned something!

If you are going to boot off of this, you face some tight restrictions. Let us know if this is the case. There are only a few motherboards that can boot from GPT volumes. They are those that implement UEFI instead of BIOS. Tom's reviewed two recently: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4-asus-p8z68-v-pro-gigabyte-z68x-ud3h-b3,2939-3.html and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4-asus-p8z68-v-pro-gigabyte-z68x-ud3h-b3,2939-6.html .

(BTW, a TB is 10^9 bytes, while a TiB is 2^30 bytes).

Solution