[SOLVED] RAID Arrays

Nov 29, 2020
I've looked over documentation online, but I still can't get a clear answer, so I thought I'd just ask it here: In a RAID 0 Array, are identical SSDs added together (such as two 2TB SSDs becoming a 4TB SSD that's very fast, or is only speed increased?

Reactions: xenthia

USAFRet

Titan

USAFRet

Titan
So what I'm seeing from this article is RAID 0, as interesting and as cool as it seems, really isn't useful in a real world setting. Thank you for letting me know, I'll just stick with one 4TB SSD instead.
Exactly.

In certain use cases, and with HDD, a RAID 0 was a thing. Database server, where you needed both speed and capacity.
And never the actual OS drive, just the data repository.

And not in the consumer space. Sounds cool and edgy, but serves no purpose.

Solid state drives have completely trumped that speed thing. And NVMe drives crush SATA III SSD.

Reactions: JosieGoth
Nov 29, 2020
Exactly.

In certain use cases, and with HDD, a RAID 0 was a thing. Database server, where you needed both speed and capacity.
And never the actual OS drive, just the data repository.

And not in the consumer space. Sounds cool and edgy, but serves no purpose.

Solid state drives have completely trumped that speed thing. And NVMe drives crush SATA III SSD.

I'm not sure I can quite afford a 4TB M.2 SSD, so I think I'll have to make due with a 4TB SATA III SSD. I'll be using a 250GB M.2 SSD for the boot drive.