Question RAID drive "disk 2 offline"...problem?

leffer

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Hey Everyone,

A bit of noob question here, as I'm not too familiar with how RAID configuration work and communicates, etc.

I fried my mobo and cpu and had them replaced by the company (MIcrocenter) that originally built it (under warranty). As I was in my device manager, I noticed my "disk 2" for RAID was "offline" with the red arrow.

My question, is this normal or did something happen to the RAID and I need to restore it so I have a reliable back up? I'm attaching some screen shots to show what I've found. Any insight is much appreciated.

Cheers

Screen shot here

OS, Hardware, etc

Windows 10 pro

WD desktop hard drives (WD Blue, Green, or Black) have been tested and are recommended for consumer RAID applications when using the drives in a RAID 0 (Stripe) or RAID 1 (Mirror) configuration.

WD only recommends using a Desktop drive (WD Blue, Green, or Black) in a RAID array with no more than two (2) drives (Raid 0 or Raid 1 only).

Gut feel, when they swapped Mobo's they didn't rebuild/reinitialise the raid array, however I'm surprised you can see the g:\ if they didn't. If it is not precisely the same mobo they'll have had to reinstall windows, if they haven't be prepared for lots of niggly pain.

This is not something for you to muck around with, this is something for them to fix (after you have taken a backup, your data your responsibility, they might be to blame if you lose it, but that won't bring it back).

A better endstate is that you abandon raid, and just use the other drive to create periodic backups (daily?) of the g:\

leffer

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Thank you all for the insight, it's appreciated. I've had enough storage fails in my life to not mess around. I've contacted them to see if they can get on this. Ultimately, it'd be great to just fix from home because of how busy work is (3D, VFX) but wouldn't even know where to start.

Cheers,
Andy

USAFRet

Titan
Personally, I'd disable the RAID 1 entirely, and set up a good automated backup routine. There are much better ways to protect your data.

A RAID 1 only protects in the case of a physical drive fail. It does nothing for the far more common forms of data loss.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for that. I will certainly do some research today.

Cheers

Read a little bit in here: