Question RAID setup issue on X570 Aorus motherboard

vishnumrao

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I have an AMD system with Gigabyte X570 Aorus MB. I have been running Ubuntu for the longest time on a single M.2 SATA SSD. Now I want to dual boot and I had a couple of identical SATA 6 Gbps 120 GB SSDs lying around. I chose to go RAID0 to get better performance.

I set up the RAID0 using the instructions provided on the Gigabyte support pages. But somehow the Windows installer does not see the RAID0. Even when booting Ubuntu, the RAI0 is not seen, but the drives are seen as individual 120GB SSDs.

Anyone have this experience? Any thoughts on solutions?

TIA, V.

Lutfij

Titan
I had a couple of identical SATA 6 Gbps 120 GB SSDs lying around
Make and model of your SSD's?

There's an AMD RAID Preinstall Driver that you're going to need to move forward with the OS installation.

With all due respect, I think you'd be best served just installing Windows OS one one drive as opposed to having it on a RAID0 array which is a lot of work to get minimal speed increments. The other option would be source a cheap NVMe drive and have the OS on that.

Out of curiosity, which X5709 Aorus board do you have? BIOS version for your motherboard?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Both Intel & AMD's on board raid are called software raid or fake raid for a reason. There are no hardware chip on the motherboard to support real raid, it's driven only by software driver.

If the power (adapter) to the disk ever drops a bit, your data very likely will be screwed. Don't use raid 0 unless the data on it is disposable.

Have 2 small extra ssd disks? Make it triple boot to experiment different environment. I'll use 3rd one to play with Ventoy.

Or you can create a 240GB raid 0 (stripe) volume in Ubuntu if you really want to (not using raid 0 setup in BIOS) and create virtual machines on the volume using VM environment like VMware Workstation 17.x or Virtualbox 7.x, both are free. No dual/triple boot required.

Last edited: