RAID with Windows 7 or XP?

Logo897

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
Hello all,

I have a computer tower that I'm currently going to use for RAID to save some important data.

My thoughts for Windows XP raid are good because of how there's no media center sharing and I can run my PC offline a lot. I'm worried though because XP uses IDE. Will I be able to transfer my files to another PC if the other PC is ahci? I can use a flash drive right?

My thoughts for Windows 7 are good because you have ahci. I know it's probably easier to transfer files from Windows 7, but can you do the same for XP?

I'm not sure what I want to be honest. What do you all think I should do? And why?

Thank you in advance :)

Solution
I thought it was funny you asked this, because just a few posts down from yours on the forum feed on the main page was this post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3001367/accidentally-deleted-folder-desktop.html

In short, he deleted a folder he needs off of his desk top. Guess what happens if you are using RAID1 or 5 and do the same thing? The data is still gone, and possibly harder to get back because of the RAID drivers between the OS and the drives. As USAFRet asked above, whats the reasoning behind RAID? RAID is NOT a form of backup. RAID allows a computer/data to stay "online" in the event of a drive failure. That's it's point. It has nothing to do with a backup. A backup is something that is done on a regular...

4745454b

Titan
I thought it was funny you asked this, because just a few posts down from yours on the forum feed on the main page was this post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3001367/accidentally-deleted-folder-desktop.html

In short, he deleted a folder he needs off of his desk top. Guess what happens if you are using RAID1 or 5 and do the same thing? The data is still gone, and possibly harder to get back because of the RAID drivers between the OS and the drives. As USAFRet asked above, whats the reasoning behind RAID? RAID is NOT a form of backup. RAID allows a computer/data to stay "online" in the event of a drive failure. That's it's point. It has nothing to do with a backup. A backup is something that is done on a regular interval, copies the data onto a trusted medium, and REMOVED from the machine when done. If you want to back up something you grab something like a USB drive and plug it in when needed, copy the data, and then unplug when done. To be extra sure you'll keep the drive "off site". (If you are backing up your home data, keep it in your locker/drawer at your work.)

RAID0/1/5/10, etc won't save you if you get one of the "locker virus" that demands payment to get access to your files back. RAID0/1/5/10, etc won't save your data if your house burns down while everyone is at school/work. People usually use RAID for the wrong reason, just keep it simple and use a USB drive. 2TB drives are pretty cheap.

Solution