[SOLVED] RAID0 : One drive is "disconnected or offline"

cheeto2

Reputable
Apr 4, 2018
Win10, Biostart Mobo, 965 BE, 16gb RAM.

Power was disrupted during shut down and now one of the drives reports disconnected to offline in the array manager. I went into the array manager via ctrl+f and port3 reports "disconnected or offline." I installed win10 on another HD and can see both drive shows and one of them reports 100% of the drive is "unallocated space" The last thing I want to do now is allocate it and completely screw the array.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might bring the array back up without losing data?

Currently attempting to repair via windows 10 boot DVD...not optimistic, but giving it a shot.

Solution
Hi. Have you physically disconnected and reconnected the drive's SATA data cables? It's possible the drive has just been marked as "disconnected" or "offline" and needs to be reevaluated by the motherboard. Otherwise, it's not looking good. You can only restore a RAID by rebuilding it, and you can't rebuild a RAID 0 without a backup.

Were you using the motherboard's integrated RAID functionality? Software RAID is generally recommended over motherboard (in the absence of a discrete hardware RAID controller (I mention this for future reference, not as a recrimination)).

Hope this helps.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Hi. Have you physically disconnected and reconnected the drive's SATA data cables? It's possible the drive has just been marked as "disconnected" or "offline" and needs to be reevaluated by the motherboard. Otherwise, it's not looking good. You can only restore a RAID by rebuilding it, and you can't rebuild a RAID 0 without a backup.

Were you using the motherboard's integrated RAID functionality? Software RAID is generally recommended over motherboard (in the absence of a discrete hardware RAID controller (I mention this for future reference, not as a recrimination)).

Hope this helps.

Solution

cheeto2

Reputable
Apr 4, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I checked cables then checked each drive ands put in a USB container. Lost the mbr on both...so I just set the array up again and am now attempting data recovery. ...not optimistic though. Nature of raid0 I suppose.

I was using built in raid controller with the main board.