[SOLVED] RAID1 Question - Randomly backups?

Mar 1, 2020
Hello,
First post, always come here though. So i recently setup a raid 1 with two 6tb drives , has been working wonderfully however i am seeing that randomly they will be at full read/write nearly for long periods.

Is this just the drives scanning eachother to verify contents are the same consistently ? If not i may have a problem, from what i was reading they verify contents immediately when anything is read/written so not sure if there is a secondary run that happens in the background occasionally?

right now both drives show 60% usage on the "container" one is reading, the other writing. I have not issued it any commands or even new files in days.

Thanks, sorry if this has been covered however all i could find was that the dev is backed up on any writes... it is written to both. end of story..

Solution
You gain nothing positive from having a RAID1 setup. Just remove it and don't worry about it. You already have the two same size drives so pull one and use it like a true backup. No RAID drivers to fail on you, you'll gain a real backup solution, and save on power. It's really for the best.

4745454b

Titan
You gain nothing positive from having a RAID1 setup. Just remove it and don't worry about it. You already have the two same size drives so pull one and use it like a true backup. No RAID drivers to fail on you, you'll gain a real backup solution, and save on power. It's really for the best.

Solution
Mar 1, 2020
this was more for fun as well as works great for my lib of media. just curious as to the way it worked was all. I have cold and warm back ups.. and the data is not that integral. its just a home play station pretty much.

so likely just running a scan on itself.. thanks for your help.

I would like to explain you do gain a read speed advantage with raid1, so something is gained. I do not need this advantage what so ever, i am actually testing two drives of same type from diff manufactures as well for a fun little test. So I am indeed hitting 450 mbps read. and from my nvme that does actually come in handy.

Thanks for the response! I may pull it and just run off of one like i used to.. however right now i have both of these plus the cold storage and enjoy the benefits. if i needed the room id break them up.. hdd are cheap.