Rainbow Six Siege gtx 1080 not hitting its highest potential

Jun 20, 2018
So recently, I've built this pc based off of a pc build here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYlwrH2krtk which featured the following specs: i5 8400, evga gtx 1080 ftw edition, 8gb of Ballistix sports ram (2666 MHz), GIGABYTE Z370P D3 Motherboard Coffee lake, EVGA 650 B3 80+ BRONZE Power Supply Fully Modular, ADATA SU700 120GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB Hard Drive, and a generic nzxt mid-tower case. Now, I basically got everything that the guy used to build his pc except using a different SSD (Samsung 860 Evo 500gb), using an evga gtx 1080 sc edition, using 16 GB of ram instead of 8gb, a different PSU (corsair cx 650m), and a different case and no decorations. I mainly play a lot of rainbow six siege and if you go to around the 9 min mark for the video, he begins benchmarking. He averages around 190-200 fps, and that's something that I remember getting after I first built it and set everything up. But after a few days, the game begins to average around 140-130 fps. Now I play on a 144hz monitor so its not really the issue but its something that still bothers me as I play the game. I tried everything from updating my drivers, reinstalling them, etc but they never seem to work. Please help me, this pc is something that I've waited getting for years and seeing that it won't reach its maximum potential frustrates me. (even though it may not affect the gameplay experience)

PS: sorry if this sounds like I'm being a moron about not getting a few frames, but again, its something that I've waited a long time getting.

Thanks

Ps: This issue is also apparent in other games such as Overwatch (200fps to 150 fps)

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Well, I have that game installed on desktop 1(i5-4690k, 16gb ddr3, gtx 1070 ti). I recently got a 2nd desktop(ryzen 7 2700x, 32gb ddr4, gtx 1080 ti oc edition). The game seems to run about the same on both systems.

with new cpu make sure the mb has the newest bios on it. on the gpu make sure it has the newest firmware...evga cards have had issue with heat and vrms. check to see if your gpu has had the vrm cooling patch done.

Jun 20, 2018

Thanks for the info! I managed to update my bios but what do you mean by checking the firmware? (I downladed gpu z) when you mean "it" do you mean the vram? Im not too sure.